"On March 20, we recognize the impact of HIV/AIDS on American Indians, Alaska Natives and Native Hawaiians. This 7th national observance is our chance to raise awareness of the risks of HIV to Native people, to help communities understand what con"...
EPZICOM Tablets, in combination with other antiretroviral agents, are indicated for the treatment of HIV-1 infection.
Additional important information on the use of EPZICOM for treatment of HIV-1 infection:
- EPZICOM is one of multiple products containing abacavir. Before starting EPZICOM, review medical history for prior exposure to any abacavir-containing product in order to avoid reintroduction in a patient with a history of hypersensitivity to abacavir [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, ADVERSE REACTIONS].
- As part of a triple-drug regimen, EPZICOM Tablets are recommended for use with antiretroviral agents from different pharmacological classes and not with other nucleoside/nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- A Medication Guide and Warning Card that provide information about recognition of hypersensitivity reactions should be dispensed with each new prescription and refill.
- EPZICOM can be taken with or without food.
The recommended oral dose of EPZICOM for adults is one tablet daily, in combination with other antiretroviral agents.
Because it is a fixed-dose combination, EPZICOM should not be prescribed for:
- patients requiring dosage adjustment such as those with creatinine clearance < 50 mL/min,
- patients with hepatic impairment.
Use of EPIVIR® (lamivudine) Oral Solution or Tablets and ZIAGEN® (abacavir sulfate) Oral Solution may be considered.
Dosage Forms And Strengths
EPZICOM Tablets contain 600 mg of abacavir as abacavir sulfate and 300 mg of lamivudine. The tablets are modified capsule-shaped, orange, film-coated, and debossed with “GS FC2” on one side with no markings on the reverse side.
Storage And Handling
EPZICOM is available as tablets. Each tablet contains 600 mg of abacavir as abacavir sulfate and 300 mg of lamivudine. The tablets are orange, film-coated, modified capsule-shaped, and debossed with GS FC2 on one side with no markings on the reverse side. They are packaged as follows:
Bottles of 30 Tablets (NDC 49702-206-13).
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) (see USP Controlled Room Temperature).
Manufactured for: ViiV Healthcare, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. by: GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. Revised: 05/2012
Last reviewed on RxList: 6/4/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Epzicom Information
Epzicom - User Reviews
Epzicom User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.