"Most of us get headaches from time to time. Some are mild. Others cause throbbing pain. They can last for minutes or days. There are many different types of headaches. How you treat yours depends on which kind you have.
Ergomar Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ergomar
Generic Name: ergotamine (Pronunciation: er GOT a meen)
- What is ergotamine (Ergomar)?
- What are the possible side effects of ergotamine (Ergomar)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ergotamine (Ergomar)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ergotamine (Ergomar)?
- How should I take ergotamine (Ergomar)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ergomar)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ergomar)?
- What should I avoid while taking ergotamine (Ergomar)?
- What other drugs will affect ergotamine (Ergomar)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ergotamine (Ergomar)?
Ergotamine is in a group of drugs called ergot alkaloids (ER-got AL-ka-loids). It works by narrowing the blood vessels around the brain. Ergotamine also affects blood flow patterns that are associated with certain types of headaches.
Ergotamine is used to treat a migraine type headache.
This medication will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent migraine headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
Ergotamine should not be used to treat common tension headaches or any headache that seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches.
Ergotamine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of ergotamine (Ergomar)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking ergotamine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- fast or slow heart rate;
- muscle pain in your arms or legs;
- leg weakness;
- numbness or tingling and a pale or blue-colored appearance in your fingers or toes;
- severe pain in your stomach or lower back;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- swelling or itching in any part of your body;
- cough with stabbing chest pain and trouble breathing; or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, spinning sensation;
- nausea, vomiting; or
- mild itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ergomar (ergotamine tartrate tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ergotamine (Ergomar)?
This medication can harm an unborn baby or a nursing baby. Do not take ergotamine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Do not take this medication if you are allergic to ergotamine or other ergot medicines, or if you have a history of heart disease, angina (chest pain), blood circulation problems, history of a heart attack or stroke, coronary artery disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe liver or kidney disease, or a serious infection.
Using certain medications together with ergotamine can cause even greater decreases in blood flow than ergotamine used alone, which can lead to dangerous side effects. Tell your doctor about all other medications you are using.
Also tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, especially high blood pressure, liver or kidney disease, or risk factors for coronary artery disease (diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol, menopause or hysterectomy, smoking, taking birth control pills, being overweight, having a family history of coronary artery disease, or being a man older than 40).
This medication will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
Never take more than your prescribed dose of ergotamine. An overdose can be fatal.
Additional Ergomar Information
Ergomar - User Reviews
Ergomar User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.