"Oct. 24, 2012 -- Women who take hormones within five years of menopause may have a slightly lower risk of Alzheimer's disease compared to women who don't ever take them, a new study shows.
The study, which is published in the journal"...
Estrogens should not be used in individuals with any of the following conditions:
- Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding.
- Known, suspected or history of cancer of the breast except in appropriately selected patients being treated for metastatic disease.
- Known or suspected estrogen-dependent neoplasia.
- Active deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism or history of these conditions.
- Active or recent (e.g., within the past year) arterial thromboembolic disease (e.g., stroke, myocardial infarction).
- Liver dysfunction or disease.
- ESTRACE (estradiol) should not be used in patients with known hypersensitivity to its ingredients. ESTRACE (estradiol tablets, USP), 2 mg, contain FD&C Yellow No. 5 (tartrazine) which may cause allergic-type reactions (including bronchial asthma) in certain susceptible individuals. Although the overall incidence of FD&C Yellow No. 5 (tartrazine) sensitivity in the general population is low, it is frequently seen in patients who also have aspirin hypersensitivity.
- Known or suspected pregnancy. There is no indication for ESTRACE (estradiol) in pregnancy. There appears to be little or no increased risk of birth defects in children born to women who have used estrogens and progestins from oral contraceptives inadvertently during early pregnancy. (See PRECAUTIONS.)
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/3/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Estrace Information
Estrace - User Reviews
Estrace User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.