"Nov. 2, 2012 -- Safety steps taken in the wake of the fungal meningitis outbreak have worsened drug shortages, raising questions about whether the U.S. must choose between the safety and the availability of crucial medicines.
Exalgo Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Exalgo
Generic Name: hydromorphone (oral) (Pronunciation: HYE droe MOR fone)
- What is hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
- How should I use hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Exalgo)?
- What happens if I overdose (Exalgo)?
- What should I avoid while using hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
- What other drugs will affect hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
Hydromorphone is an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic.
Hydromorphone is used to treat moderate to severe pain. The extended-release form of this medication is for around-the-clock treatment of pain.
Hydromorphone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dilaudid 2 mg ABB
round, orange, imprinted with 2, a
Dilaudid 2 mg
round, orange, imprinted with K, 2
Dilaudid 4 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with 4, a
Dilaudid 8 mg
triangular, white, imprinted with 8, double Abbott Logo (aa)
Hydromorphone 2 mg-ETH
round, blue, imprinted with 2, E
Hydromorphone 2 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with M, 2
Hydromorphone 2 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 743, 2
Hydromorphone 4 mg-ETH
round, beige, imprinted with 4, E
Hydromorphone 4 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with M, 4
Hydromorphone 4 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 4, 54 609
Hydromorphone 8 mg-ETH
round, white, imprinted with E, 8
Hydromorphone 8 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 403
What are the possible side effects of hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- weak or shallow breathing;
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing;
- seizure (convulsions);
- confusion, severe weakness or drowsiness; or
- feeling like you might pass out.
Less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
- blurred vision, double vision;
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain;
- dizziness, drowsiness;
- dry mouth;
- itching; or
- sleep problems (insomnia), or strange dreams.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Exalgo (hydromorphone hydrochloride extended release tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydromorphone (Exalgo)?
Hydromorphone may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person for whom it was prescribed. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Do not drink alcohol. Dangerous side effects or death can occur when alcohol is combined with a narcotic pain medicine. Check your food and medicine labels to be sure these products do not contain alcohol.
Never take hydromorphone in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how hydromorphone will affect you.
Do not stop using hydromorphone suddenly after long-term use, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using hydromorphone.
Additional Exalgo Information
- Exalgo Drug Interactions Center: hydromorphone oral
- Exalgo Side Effects Center
- Exalgo Overview including Precautions
- Exalgo FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Exalgo - User Reviews
Exalgo User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.