"Oct. 17, 2012 -- Extreme agitation, aggressiveness, and psychosis are common among people with Alzheimer's disease -- especially in its later stages -- and they are among the symptoms most often associated with admission to nursing homes."...
Instructions for Use
(rivastigmine tartrate) Oral Solution
Instructions for using your Exelon Oral Solution
Read these instructions before taking Exelon Oral Solution and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your medical condition or your treatment.
Preparing your dose of Exelon Oral Solution.
You will need the following supplies:
- Exelon Oral Solution Bottle
- Oral dosing syringe in protective case
1. Remove the oral dosing syringe from its protective case
2. Firmly push down and twist the child-resistant cap counterclockwise to open the bottle.
3. Keep the bottle upright on a firm table and insert tip of syringe into the opening of the white stopper.
4. While holding the syringe in place, pull the plunger of the syringe up to the level (see markings on side of syringe) that equals the dose prescribed by your doctor.
5. Before removing syringe with your prescribed dose from the bottle, push out any large bubbles by moving plunger up and down a few times.
- After the large bubbles are gone, pull the plunger again to the level that equals the dose prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not worry about a few tiny bubbles. This will not affect your dose.
6. Remove the syringe from the bottle. You may swallow Exelon Oral Solution from the syringe or mix it with a small glass of water, cold fruit juice or soda.
- If mixing with water, cold fruit juice or soda, be sure to stir completely and to drink the all of the liquid.
- Do not mix Exelon Oral Solution with liquids other than water, cold fruit juice, or soda.
7. After use, rinse the empty syringe by inserting the open end of the syringe into a glass of water. Pull the plunger out to draw in water, and push the plunger in to remove the water. Repeat this several times. Allow the syringe to air dry and put it back into its case.
8. Place the child-resistant cap back on the bottle and store in an upright position.
How to Store Exelon Oral Solution:
- Store at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C) in an upright position.
- After mixing with water, cold fruit juice, or soda, Exelon Oral Solution can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 hours before drinking.
- Do not store in freezer.
This Instructions for Use has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/18/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Exelon Information
Exelon - User Reviews
Exelon User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.