Exercise and Activity (cont.)
In this Article
- The importance of physical activity and fitness
- Why should I be active?
- Can everyone benefit from physical activity?
- What are the recommendations for increasing fitness for youth, adults, and seniors?
- How do I get started with a fitness plan?
- When is a medical evaluation necessary?
- How can I make physical activity a part of my life?
- What are the components of physical fitness?
- Fitness terms
- Exercise and Fitness FAQs
Can everyone benefit from physical activity?
"Do it, move it, make it happen. No one ever sat their way to success." -Unknown
The good news about regular physical activity is that everyone can benefit from it (USDHHS, 1996).
- Older adults: No one is too old to enjoy the benefits of regular physical activity. Evidence indicates that muscle-strengthening exercises can reduce the risk of falling and fracturing bones and can improve the ability to live independently.
- Parents and children: Parents can help their children maintain a physically active lifestyle by providing encouragement and opportunities for physical activity. Families can plan outings and events that allow and encourage everyone in the family to be active.
- Teenagers: Regular physical activity improves strength, builds lean muscle, and decreases body fat. Activity can build stronger bones to last a lifetime.
- People trying to manage their weight: Regular physical activity burns calories while preserving lean muscle mass. Regular physical activity is a key component of any weight-loss or weight-management effort.
- People with high blood pressure: Regular physical activity helps lower blood pressure.
- People with physical disabilities, including arthritis: Regular physical activity can help people with chronic, disabling conditions improve their stamina and muscle strength. It also can improve psychological well-being and quality of life by increasing the ability to perform the activities of daily life.
- Everyone under stress, including persons experiencing anxiety or depression: Regular physical activity improves one's mood, helps relieve depression, and increases feelings of well-being.
Viewers share their comments
Fitness - Describe Your Activity Question: How do you exercise? Discuss the types of exercise in which you participate.
Fitness - Getting Started Question: Every little bit helps. Share tips to get motivated and start a fitness program.
Fitness - Incorporating Into Life Question: Are you too busy for exercise? How do you incorporate fitness into your daily life?
Find the secrets to longer life.