"Kidney diseaseā“related deaths and hospitalizations have declined during the last 2 decades, according to the US Renal Data System (USRDS) annual report.
The report provides an annual snapshot of data from the USRDS, a national data re"...
Extraneal Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Extraneal
Generic Name: icodextrin (LVP solution) (Pronunciation: EYE koe dex trin (LVP soe LOO tion))
- What is icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
- What are the possible side effects of icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
- What is the most important information I should know about icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
- How is icodextrin (LVP solution) given (Extraneal)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Extraneal)?
- What happens if I overdose (Extraneal)?
- What should I avoid while using icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
- What other drugs will affect icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
Icodextrin is a dialysis solution that draws fluid and wastes from your bloodstream into your peritoneal cavity (the space around the organs in your abdomen). These fluids and wastes are removed when the dialysis solution is drained.
Icodextrin is used in peritoneal dialysis that lasts 8 hours or longer (also called the long dwell exchange).
Icodextrin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using icodextrin and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, stomach pain, redness, or cloudy drained fluid;
- flu symptoms;
- chest pain;
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, weight loss); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild stomach pain, nausea;
- headache; or
- new or worsening cough.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Extraneal (icodextrin peritoneal dialysis solution) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about icodextrin (LVP solution) (Extraneal)?
If you have diabetes and you test your blood sugar using a glucose monitor and test strips, ask a doctor or pharmacist about the best type to use. Certain glucose monitors and test strips must not be used while you are being treated with icodextrin. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using icodextrin.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to icodextrin or cornstarch, or if you have maltose or isomaltose intolerance, severe lactic acidosis, or a glycogen storage disease (an inherited metabolic disorder).
Before using icodextrin, tell your doctor if any of the following conditions have recently affected your stomach area: surgery, tumors, hernia, infection, or open wounds.
Also tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions and about all other medicines you use.
Drink plenty of liquids while you are using icodextrin. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink. In some cases, drinking too much liquid can be as unsafe as not drinking enough.
Additional Extraneal Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.