Eye Discharge Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Eye discharge occurs whenever there is excess fluid in the eye. Eye discharge may be clear and watery, like tears, or in the case of infections, it may be thick and opaque. There are many causes of eye discharge, ranging from infections to allergic reactions. Most causes of eye discharge are not serious and can be easily treated.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Eye Discharge
In This ArticleAllergy Article
- Allergy facts
- What does an allergy mean?
- What causes allergies?
- Who is at risk and why?
- What are common allergic conditions, and what are allergy symptoms and signs?
- Hay Fever
- Allergic Eyes
- Allergic Eczema
- Allergic Shock
- Where are allergens? Everywhere
- In the air we breathe
- In what we ingest
- Touching our skin
- Injected into our body
In This ArticleBlepharitis Article
- What is blepharitis?
- What causes blepharitis?
- What are the symptoms and signs of blepharitis?
- How is blepharitis diagnosed?
- What are complications of blepharitis?
- What is the treatment for blepharitis?
- What is the prognosis for blepharitis?
- Blepharitis At A Glance
In This ArticleCommon Cold Article
- What is the common cold, and what causes it?
- How is the common cold transmitted?
- What are the symptoms and signs of the common cold in adults, children, and infants?
- Does it have anything to do with exposure to cold weather?
- What is the difference between the common cold and influenza (the flu)?
- How is the common cold diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for the common cold? Are there any home remedies for the common cold?
- Are antibiotics a suitable treatment for the common cold?
- When should a physician or other health-care practitioner be consulted?
- How do you prevent the common cold?
- Common Cold At A Glance
In This ArticleCorneal Ulcer Article
- What is a corneal ulcer?
- What does a corneal ulcer look like?
- What are the causes of a corneal ulcer?
- What are corneal ulcer symptoms?
- What are corneal ulcer signs?
- How is a corneal ulcer diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a corneal ulcer?
- What is the healing time for a corneal ulcer?
- Can corneal ulcers be prevented?
- Corneal Ulcer At A Glance
In This ArticleDry Eyes Article
- Dry eye syndrome facts
- What is dry eye syndrome?
- What causes dry eye syndrome?
- What is the impact of dry eye syndrome?
- What are dry eye syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What are the complications of dry eye syndrome?
- What are the risk factors for dry eye syndrome?
- What is the treatment for dry eye syndrome?
- Can self-care treatments and remedies help alleviate dry eyes?
- What is the medical treatment for dry eye syndrome?
- What medications are used to treat dry eye syndrome?
- Can surgery treat dry eye syndrome?
- What other therapies are used to treat dry eye syndrome?
In This ArticleEye Care Article
- Eye care introduction
- What is the structure of the eye?
- Which common disorders of the eye can (sometimes) be self-treated?
- What common eye conditions usually require treatment by a doctor?
- What types of OTC eye care products are there?
- What inactive ingredients are contained in OTC eye care products?
In This ArticleEye Strain Article
- What is eye strain?
- What causes eye strain?
- What are the symptoms of eye strain?
- What are the signs of eye strain?
- How is eye strain diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eye strain?
- Can eye strain be prevented?
- Eye Strain At A Glance
In This ArticlePink Eye Article
- Pink eye facts
- What is "pink eye"?
- What infections cause pink eye, what are infectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
- What noninfectious conditions cause pink eye, what are noninfectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
- What are home treatments and care for pink eye?
- How can I prevent the spread of pink eye?
In This ArticleSty (Stye) Article
- What is a sty?
- What is the cause of a sty?
- What are sty symptoms and signs?
- How is a sty diagnosed?
- Who is most susceptible to the development of a sty?
- What is the treatment for a sty? Is there a home remedy for a sty?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) of a sty?
- Are there any potential complications resulting from a sty?
- Can a sty be prevented?
- Sty (Stye, Hordeolum) At A Glance
In This ArticleUveitis Article
- What is uveitis?
- What causes uveitis?
- What are symptoms of uveitis?
- What are the signs of uveitis?
- What are the different types of uveitis?
- What other medical conditions are associated with uveitis?
- How is uveitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for uveitis?
- What is the prognosis for uveitis?
- What are the complications of uveitis?
- Can uveitis be prevented?
Other Causes of Eye Discharge
- Bacterial Infections
- Blocked Tear Duct
- Corneal Ulceration
- Foreign Body in the Eye
- Trauma or Irritation of the Eyes
- Viral Infections
Examples of Medications for Eye Discharge
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get breaking medical news.