Eye Discharge Early Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Eye discharge occurs whenever there is excess fluid in the eye. Eye discharge may be clear and watery, like tears, or in the case of infections, it may be thick and opaque. There are many causes of eye discharge, ranging from infections to allergic reactions. Allergic reactions can cause itchy, watery eyes. Both allergies and infections cause pinkeye, or conjunctivitis. Eye discharge associated with infections is usually accompanied by other symptoms including redness (bloodshot appearance), burning, blurred vision, or eye pain. Photophobia (sensitivity to light) can be associated with eye infections. Most causes of eye discharge are not serious and can be easily treated.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Causes of Eye Discharge
In This ArticleBlepharitis Article
- Blepharitis facts
- What is blepharitis?
- What causes blepharitis?
- What are the symptoms and signs of blepharitis?
- How is blepharitis diagnosed?
- What are complications of blepharitis?
- What is the treatment for blepharitis? Can blepharitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for blepharitis?
In This ArticleCommon Cold Article
- Common cold facts
- What is the common cold, and what causes it?
- How is the common cold transmitted?
- What are risk factors for acquiring the common cold?
- What are the symptoms and signs of the common cold in adults, children, and infants? What is the incubation period of the common cold?
- Does it have anything to do with exposure to cold weather?
- What is the difference between the common cold and influenza (the flu)?
- How do physicians diagnose the common cold?
- What is the treatment for the common cold? Are there any home remedies for the common cold?
- Are antibiotics a suitable treatment for the common cold?
- When should a health-care professional be consulted?
- What is the prognosis for the common cold? What is the duration of the common cold?
- What are complications of the common cold?
- Is it possible to prevent the common cold?
In This ArticleCorneal Ulcer Article
- Corneal ulcer facts
- What is a corneal ulcer?
- What does a corneal ulcer look like?
- What are the causes of a corneal ulcer?
- What are corneal ulcer symptoms?
- What are corneal ulcer signs?
- How is a corneal ulcer diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a corneal ulcer?
- What is the healing time for a corneal ulcer?
- Can corneal ulcers be prevented?
In This ArticleDry Eyes Article
- Dry eye syndrome facts
- What is dry eye syndrome?
- What causes dry eye syndrome?
- What is the impact of dry eye syndrome?
- What are dry eye syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What are the complications of dry eye syndrome?
- What are the risk factors for dry eye syndrome?
- Can self-care treatments and remedies help alleviate dry eyes?
- What is the medical treatment for dry eye syndrome?
- What medications are used to treat dry eye syndrome?
- Can surgery treat dry eye syndrome?
- What other therapies are used to treat dry eye syndrome?
In This ArticleEye Care Article
- Eye care introduction
- What is the structure of the eye?
- Which common disorders of the eye can (sometimes) be self-treated?
- What common eye conditions usually require treatment by a doctor?
- What types of OTC eye care products are there?
- What inactive ingredients are contained in OTC eye care products?
In This ArticleEye Strain Article
- Eye strain facts
- What is eye strain?
- What causes eye strain?
- What are the symptoms of eye strain?
- What are the signs of eye strain?
- How is eye strain diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eye strain?
- Can eye strain be prevented?
In This ArticleIs Pinkeye Contagious? Article
- What is pinkeye?
- Is pinkeye contagious? What is the incubation period for pinkeye?
- How will I know when I have pinkeye?
- How do people transmit pinkeye?
- How long does pinkeye last? What is the contagious period for pinkeye?
- When should I contact a health-care provider about pinkeye?
In This ArticleUveitis Article
- What is uveitis?
- What causes uveitis?
- What are symptoms of uveitis?
- What are the signs of uveitis?
- What are the different types of uveitis?
- What other medical conditions are associated with uveitis?
- How is uveitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for uveitis?
- What is the prognosis for uveitis?
- What are the complications of uveitis?
- Can uveitis be prevented?
Other Causes of Eye Discharge
- Bacterial Infections
- Blocked Tear Duct
- Corneal Ulceration
- Foreign Body in the Eye
- Trauma or Irritation of the Eyes
- Viral Infections
Examples of Medications for Eye Discharge
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get breaking medical news.