"An investigational therapeutic genital herpes vaccine has shown significant antiviral activity in a phase 2 trial, said researchers speaking here at the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) 74th Annual Meeting.
The vaccine, currently"...
Famvir Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Famvir
Generic Name: famciclovir (Pronunciation: fam SYE klo veer)
- What is famciclovir (Famvir)?
- What are the possible side effects of famciclovir (Famvir)?
- What is the most important information I should know about famciclovir (Famvir)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking famciclovir (Famvir)?
- How should I take famciclovir (Famvir)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Famvir)?
- What happens if I overdose (Famvir)?
- What should I avoid while taking famciclovir (Famvir)?
- What other drugs will affect famciclovir (Famvir)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is famciclovir (Famvir)?
Famciclovir is an antiviral drug. It slows the growth and spread of the herpes virus so that the body can fight off the infection. Famciclovir will not cure herpes, but it can lessen the symptoms of the infections.
Famciclovir is used to treat infections caused by herpes viruses, including genital herpes, cold sores, and shingles.
There is no cure for herpes and famciclovir will not prevent you from developing symptoms in the future.
Famciclovir may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Famciclovir 125 mg-APO
round, white, imprinted with APO, FAM 125
Famciclovir 125 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93, 8117
Famciclovir 250 mg-APO
round, white, imprinted with APO, FAM 250
Famciclovir 250 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93, 8118
Famciclovir 500 mg-APO
oval, white, imprinted with FAM500
Famciclovir 500 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 93, 8119
Famvir 125 mg
round, white, imprinted with FAMVIR, 125
Famvir 250 mg
round, white, imprinted with FAMVIR, 250
Famvir 500 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with FAMVIR, 500
What are the possible side effects of famciclovir (Famvir)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using famciclovir and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- weakness, confusion, increased thirst, loss of appetite, vomiting, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest; or
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, gas, stomach pain;
- headache, tired feeling;
- dizziness, sleepiness;
- mild itching or skin rash; or
- numbness or tingly feeling.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Famvir (famciclovir) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about famciclovir (Famvir)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to famciclovir or penciclovir cream (Denavir).
Take this medicine for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared.
Treatment with famciclovir should be started as soon as possible after the first appearance of symptoms (such as tingling, burning, blisters).
Herpes infections are contagious and you can infect other people, even while you are being treated with famciclovir. Avoid letting infected areas come into contact with other people. Avoid touching an infected area and then touching your eyes. Wash your hands frequently to prevent passing the infection to others.
Additional Famvir Information
- Famvir Drug Interactions Center: famciclovir oral
- Famvir Side Effects Center
- Famvir Overview including Precautions
- Famvir FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Famvir - User Reviews
Famvir User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Sex & Relationships
Get tips to boost your love life.