Fanapt Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Fanapt
Generic Name: iloperidone (Pronunciation: EYE loe PER i done)
- What is iloperidone (Fanapt)?
- What are the possible side effects of iloperidone (Fanapt)?
- What is the most important information I should know about iloperidone (Fanapt)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking iloperidone (Fanapt)?
- How should I take iloperidone (Fanapt)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Fanapt)?
- What happens if I overdose (Fanapt)?
- What should I avoid while taking iloperidone (Fanapt)?
- What other drugs will affect iloperidone (Fanapt)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is iloperidone (Fanapt)?
Iloperidone is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the effects of chemicals in the brain.
Iloperidone is used to treat schizophrenia.
Iloperidone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Fanapt 1 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, 1
Fanapt 10 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, 10
Fanapt 12 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, 12
Fanapt 2 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, 2
Fanapt 4 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, 4
Fanapt 6 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, 6
Fanapt 8 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, 8
What are the possible side effects of iloperidone (Fanapt)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking this medication and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, feeling like you might pass out;
- twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs;
- tremor (uncontrolled shaking);
- trouble swallowing;
- seizure (convulsions);
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- feeling like you might pass out; or
- penis erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling;
- dry mouth, stuffy nose, sore throat;
- nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach;
- joint pain;
- breast swelling or discharge;
- changes in menstrual periods;
- blurred vision;
- weight gain; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Fanapt (iloperidone tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about iloperidone (Fanapt)?
Iloperidone is not for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Iloperidone may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
Before using iloperidone, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by iloperidone.
While you are taking iloperidone, you may be more sensitive to temperature extremes such as very hot or cold conditions. Avoid getting too cold, or becoming overheated or dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, especially in hot weather and during exercise. It is easier to become dangerously overheated and dehydrated while you are taking iloperidone.
Iloperidone may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of iloperidone.
Stop using iloperidone and call your doctor at once if you have very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, restless muscle movements in your face or neck, tremor (uncontrolled shaking), trouble swallowing, or feeling like you might pass out.
If you have stopped taking iloperidone for any reason, talk with your doctor before you start taking it again. You may need to restart the medication at a lower dose.
Additional Fanapt Information
- Fanapt Drug Interactions Center: iloperidone oral
- Fanapt Side Effects Center
- Fanapt Overview including Precautions
- Fanapt FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Fanapt - User Reviews
Fanapt User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.