"Nov. 1, 2013 (San Diego)- Women who drink one or more sugar-sweetened sodas a day might raise their risk of getting rheumatoid arthritis, according to a new study that links RA risk to the sugary habit. The study does not prove cause and ef"...
(piroxicam) Capsules 10 mg and 20 mg For Oral Use
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
- NSAIDs may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk (see WARNINGS).
- FELDENE® (piroxicam) is contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery (see WARNINGS).
- NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events (see WARNINGS).
FELDENE® contains piroxicam which is a member of the oxicam group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Each maroon and blue capsule contains 10 mg piroxicam, each maroon capsule contains 20 mg piroxicam for oral administration. The chemical name for piroxicam is 4-hydroxyl-2-methyl-N-2-pyridinyl-2H-l,2,-benzothiazine-3-carboxamide 1,1-dioxide. Piroxicam occurs as a white crystalline solid, sparingly soluble in water, dilute acid, and most organic solvents. It is slightly soluble in alcohol and in aqueous solutions. It exhibits a weakly acidic 4-hydroxy proton (pKa 5.1) and a weakly basic pyridyl nitrogen (pKa 1.8). The molecular weight of piroxicam is 331.35. Its molecular formula is C15H13N3O4S and it has the following structural formula:
The inactive ingredients in FELDENE (piroxicam) capsules include: Blue 1, Red 3, lactose, magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, starch.
What are the possible side effects of piroxicam (Feldene)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking piroxicam and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at...
What are the precautions when taking piroxicam (Feldene)?
Before taking piroxicam, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to aspirin or other NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: asthma (including a history of worsening breathing after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs), blood disorders (such as anemia, bleeding/clotting problems), growths in the nose (nasal polyps), heart disease (such as congestive heart failure, previous heart attack), high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease, severe loss of body water (dehydration),...
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/14/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Feldene Information
Feldene - User Reviews
Feldene User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options