"Nov. 6, 2012 -- The FDA has approved Pfizer's Xeljanz (tofacitinib), a first-of-its-kind treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
Xeljanz is approved for use by patients not helped by methotrexate, the usual first treatment for RA. It's a "...
Feldene Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Feldene
Generic Name: piroxicam (Pronunciation: peer OX i kam)
- What is piroxicam (Feldene)?
- What are the possible side effects of piroxicam (Feldene)?
- What is the most important information I should know about piroxicam (Feldene)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking piroxicam (Feldene)?
- How should I take piroxicam (Feldene)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Feldene)?
- What happens if I overdose (Feldene)?
- What should I avoid while taking piroxicam (Feldene)?
- What other drugs will affect piroxicam (Feldene)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is piroxicam (Feldene)?
Piroxicam is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Piroxicam works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Piroxicam is used to treat pain or inflammation caused by arthritis.
Piroxicam may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Feldene 20 mg
red, capsule, imprinted with FELDENE, PFIZER323
Piroxicam 10 mg-MYL
capsule, green/yellow, imprinted with MYLAN 1010
Piroxicam 10 mg-TEV
capsule, green, imprinted with 93 756
Piroxicam 20 mg-MYL
capsule, green, imprinted with MYLAN 2020
Piroxicam 20 mg-TEV
capsule, green, imprinted with 93 757
What are the possible side effects of piroxicam (Feldene)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking piroxicam and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or
- fever, headache, neck stiffness, chills, increased sensitivity to light, purple spots on the skin, and/or seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, mild heartburn or stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation;
- bloating, gas;
- dizziness, headache, nervousness;
- skin itching or rash;
- blurred vision; or
- ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Feldene (piroxicam) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about piroxicam (Feldene)?
This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use piroxicam. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking piroxicam. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Do not use any other over-the-counter cold, allergy, or pain medication without first asking your doctor or pharmacist. Many medicines available over the counter contain aspirin or other medicines similar to piroxicam (such as ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen). If you take certain products together you may accidentally take too much of this type of medication. Read the label of any other medicine you are using to see if it contains aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen.
Do not drink alcohol while taking piroxicam. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by piroxicam.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays. Piroxicam can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburn may result.
Additional Feldene Information
- Feldene Drug Interactions Center: piroxicam oral
- Feldene Side Effects Center
- Feldene Overview including Precautions
- Feldene FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Feldene - User Reviews
Feldene User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options