"If you do not want to get pregnant, there are many birth control options to choose from. No one product is best for everyone. The only sure way to avoid pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs or STDs) is not to have any sexual"...
Femcon Fe Side Effects Center
Medical Editor: John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP
Femcon Fe (norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol) is a combination of female hormones used as contraception to prevent pregnancy. Femcon Fe is also used to treat severe acne. Femcon Fe is available in generic form. Common side effects of Femcon Fe include nausea (especially when you first start taking Femcon Fe), vomiting, headache, stomach cramping or bloating, dizziness, vaginal discomfort/irritation/itching, increased vaginal fluids or discharge, breast tenderness/enlargement, nipple discharge, freckles or darkening of facial skin, increased hair growth, loss of scalp hair, changes in weight or appetite, problems with contact lenses, or decreased sex drive. Acne may improve or get worse. Vaginal bleeding between periods (spotting) or missed/irregular menstrual periods may occur, especially during the first few months of use.
The dosage of Femcon Fe is one white tablet daily for 21 consecutive days, followed by one brown tablet daily for 7 consecutive days, taken at the same time each day. Take as prescribed. Femcon Fe may interact with acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, prednisolone, theophylline, St. John's wort, antibiotics, seizure medications, barbiturate sedatives, or HIV or AIDS medications. Tell your doctor all medications and supplements you use. Femcon Fe must not be used during pregnancy. If you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant, tell your doctor. If you have just given birth or had a pregnancy loss/abortion after the first 3 months, consult your doctor about birth control, and find out when it is safe to use birth control containing estrogen, such as this medication. This medication passes into breast milk. This may affect milk production and may have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Our Femcon Fe (norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol) Side Effects Drug Center provides a comprehensive view of available drug information on the potential side effects when taking this medication.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is Patient Information in Detail?
Easy-to-read and understand detailed drug information and pill images for the patient or caregiver from Cerner Multum.
Femcon Fe in Detail - Patient Information: Side Effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using birth control pills and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden and severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood;
- pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs;
- a change in the pattern or severity of migraine headaches;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet;
- a breast lump; or
- symptoms of depression (sleep problems, weakness, tired feeling, mood changes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea (especially when you first start taking this medicine), vomiting, bloating, stomach cramps;
- breast tenderness or swelling, nipple discharge;
- freckles or darkening of facial skin, increased hair growth, loss of scalp hair;
- changes in weight or appetite;
- problems with contact lenses;
- vaginal itching or discharge; or
- changes in your menstrual periods, decreased sex drive.
Read the entire detailed patient monograph for Femcon Fe (Norethindrone and Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets)
What is Prescribing information?
The FDA package insert formatted in easy-to-find categories for health professionals and clinicians.
Femcon Fe FDA Prescribing Information: Side Effects
An increased risk of the following serious adverse reactions has been associated with the use of oral contraceptives (see WARNINGS section):
- Arterial thromboembolism
- Pulmonary embolism
- Myocardial infarction
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Cerebral thrombosis
- Gallbladder disease
- Hepatic adenomas or benign liver tumors
There is evidence of an association between the following conditions and the use of oral contraceptives:
- Mesenteric thrombosis
- Retinal thrombosis
The following adverse reactions have been reported in patients receiving oral contraceptives and are believed to be drug related:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (such as abdominal pain, cramps and bloating)
- Breakthrough bleeding
- Change in menstrual flow
- Temporary infertility after discontinuation of treatment
- Edema/fluid retention
- Melasma/chloasma which may persist
- Breast changes: tenderness, pain, enlargement, and secretion
- Change in weight or appetite (increase or decrease)
- Change in cervical ectropion and secretion
- Possible diminution in lactation when given immediately postpartum
- Cholestatic jaundice
- Migraine headache
- Rash (allergic)
- Mood changes, including depression
- Vaginitis, including candidiasis
- Change in corneal curvature (steepening)
- Intolerance to contact lenses
- Decrease in serum folate levels
- Exacerbation of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Exacerbation of porphyria
- Exacerbation of chorea
- Aggravation of varicose veins
- Anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions, including urticaria, angioedema, and severe reactions with respiratory and circulatory symptoms
The following adverse reactions have been reported in users of oral contraceptives, and a causal association has been neither confirmed nor refuted:
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Optic neuritis, which may lead to partial or complete loss of vision
- Cystitis-like syndrome
- Loss of scalp hair
- Erythema multiforme
- Erythema nodosum
- Hemorrhagic eruption
- Impaired renal function
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome
- Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Changes in libido
Read the entire FDA prescribing information for Femcon Fe (Norethindrone and Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets)
Additional Femcon Fe Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.