"BOSTON, MA â€” A recent meta-analysis that puts certain nonstatin therapies that work via the same mechanism on par with statins for reducing cholesterol and cardiovascular events is drawing mixed reviews from key opinion leaders.
Fenofibrate 40 mg/ 120 mg
Patients should be advised:
- of the potential benefits and risks of fenofibrate capsules.
- not to use fenofibrate capsules if there is a known hypersensitivity to fenofibrate or fenofibric acid.
- of medications that should not be taken in combination with fenofibrate capsules.
- that if they are taking coumarin anticoagulants, fenofibrate capsules may increase their anticoagulant effect, and increased monitoring may be necessary.
- to inform their physician of all medications, supplements, and herbal preparations they are taking and any change in their medical condition.
- to inform a physician prescribing a new medication, that they are taking fenofibrate capsules.
- to continue to follow an appropriate lipid-modifying diet while taking fenofibrate capsules.
- to take fenofibrate capsules once daily at the prescribed dose, swallowing each capsule whole.
- to inform their physician of any muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness; onset of abdominal pain; or any other new symptoms.
- to return to their physician's office for routine monitoring.
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/6/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Fenofibrate 40 mg/ 120 mg Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.