July 27, 2016
Ferritin Blood Test
Table of Contents
- Ferritin blood test facts
- What is ferritin?
- What is the ferritin blood test?
- How does one prepare for a ferritin blood test?
- How is the test performed?
- What are the potential side effects of a ferritin blood test?
- What are normal results for a ferritin test?
- What does an elevated ferritin level mean
- What does a low ferritin level mean?
Ferritin blood test facts
- The ferritin test measures the level of ferritin, the major iron storage protein in the body.
- The ferritin test is a simple blood test.
- High levels of ferritin can indicate an iron storage disorder, such as hemochromatosis, or a chronic disease process.
- Low levels of ferritin are indicative of iron deficiency, which causes anemia (a reduction in the number of red blood cells). Continue Reading
1/6Reviewed on 10/15/2015
Next: What is ferritin?