Ferritin Blood Test
Table of Contents
- Ferritin blood test facts
- What is ferritin?
- What is the ferritin blood test?
- How does one prepare for a ferritin blood test?
- How is the test performed?
- What are the potential side effects of a ferritin blood test?
- What are normal results for a ferritin test?
- What does an elevated ferritin level mean
- What does a low ferritin level mean?
How does one prepare for a ferritin blood test?
The ferritin test uses venous blood that is withdrawn as for any routine blood test. No special preparation for the test is necessary. Fasting is not necessary.
How is the test performed?
A needle attached to a vacuum collection device is inserted into a vein, often a vein in the antecubital fossa (crease of the elbow), after the area has been cleaned. Venous blood can also be taken from other sites. Continue Reading