"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved oxymetazoline hydrochloride 1% cream (Rhofade, Allergan) for the topical treatment of persistent facial erythema associated with rosacea in adults.
Persistent facial erythe"...
Inform patients using FINACEA Gel of the following information and instructions:
- For external use only.
- Before applying FINACEA Gel, cleanse affected area(s) with a very mild soap or a soapless cleansing lotion and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Avoid use of alcoholic cleansers, tinctures and astringents, abrasives and peeling agents.
- Avoid contact with the eyes, mouth and other mucous membranes. If FINACEA Gel does come in contact with the eyes, wash the eyes with large amounts of water and consult their healthcare providers if eye irritation persists.
- Wash hands immediately following application of FINACEA Gel.
- Cosmetics may be applied after the application of FINACEA Gel has dried.
- Avoid the use of occlusive dressings or wrappings.
- Skin irritation (e.g., pruritus, burning, or stinging) may occur during use of FINACEA Gel, usually during the first few weeks of treatment. If irritation is excessive or persists, or allergic reactions occur, discontinue use and consult your physician.
- If allergic reactions occur, discontinue use and consult their healthcare providers.
- Advise patients to report any worsening of asthma to their healthcare providers.
- Report abnormal changes in skin color to their healthcare providers.
- To help manage rosacea, avoid any triggers that may provoke erythema, flushing, and blushing. These triggers can include spicy and thermally hot food and drinks such as hot coffee, tea, or alcoholic beverages.
- FINACEA Gel comes in a tube and a pump:
- Tube instructions: Remove the cap before use. Squeeze the tube to dispense a small amount of FINACEA Gel.
- Pump instructions:
- Remove the cap before use. Depress the pump to dispense a small amount of FINACEA Gel. At first use, the pump may have to be depressed repeatedly until product is dispensed.
- Discard the pump 8 weeks after opening.
Last reviewed on RxList: 8/29/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Finacea Gel Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.