- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Patients using FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%, should receive the following information and instructions:
- FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%, is to be used only as directed by the physician.
- FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%, is for external use only. It is not to be used orally, intravaginally, or for the eyes.
- Cleanse affected area(s) with a very mild soap or a soapless cleansing lotion and pat dry with a soft towel before applying FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%. Avoid alcoholic cleansers, tinctures and astringents, abrasives and peeling agents.
- Avoid contact of FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%, with the mouth, eyes and other mucous membranes. If it does come in contact with the eyes, wash the eyes with large amounts of water and consult a physician if eye irritation persists.
- The hands should be washed following application of FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%.
- Cosmetics may be applied after FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%, has dried.
- Skin irritation (e.g., pruritus, burning, or stinging) may occur during use of FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%, usually during the first few weeks of treatment. If irritation is excessive or persists, use of FINACEA Gel (azelaic acid) , 15%, should be discontinued, and patients should consult their physician (See ADVERSE REACTIONS).
- Avoid any foods and beverages that might provoke erythema, flushing, and blushing (including spicy food, alcoholic beverages, and thermally hot drinks, including hot coffee and tea).
- Patients should report abnormal changes in skin color to their physician.
- Avoid the use of occlusive dressings or wrappings.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/2/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Finacea Gel Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.