Fioricet with Codeine
"The FDA is spelling out this and other precautions in class-wide boxed warnings on the labels of opioid painkillers such as oxycodone, prescription cough medicine containing opioids, benzodiazepines, which include alprazolam (Xanax, Pharma"...
Fioricet with Codeine
- Do not take Fioricet with Codeine if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- If you develop signs of allergy such as rash or difficulty breathing, stop taking Fioricet with Codeine and contact your healthcare provider immediately.
- Do not take more than 4000 milligrams of acetaminophen per day. Call your doctor if you took more than the recommended dose.
- Fioricet with Codeine may impair mental and/or physical abilities required for the performance of potentially hazardous tasks such as driving a car or operating machinery. Such tasks should be avoided while taking this combination product.
- Alcohol and other CNS depressants may produce an additive CNS depression when taken with this combination product and should be avoided.
- Codeine and butalbital may be habit-forming. Patients should take the drug only for as long as it is prescribed, in the amounts prescribed, and no more frequently than prescribed.
- For information on use in geriatric patients, refer to PRECAUTIONS - Geriatric use.
- Advise patients that some people have a genetic variation that results in codeine changing into morphine more rapidly and completely than other people. Most people are unaware of whether they are an ultra-rapid codeine metabolizer or not. These higher-than-normal levels of morphine in the blood may lead to life-threatening or fatal respiratory depression or signs of overdose such as extreme sleepiness, confusion, or shallow breathing. Children with this genetic variation who were prescribed codeine after tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for obstructive sleep apnea may be at greatest risk based on reports of several deaths in this population due to respiratory depression. Fioricet with Codeine is contraindicated in children who undergo tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy. Advise caregivers of children receiving Fioricet with Codeine for other reasons to monitor for signs of respiratory depression.
- Nursing mothers taking codeine can also have higher morphine levels in their breast milk if they are ultra-rapid metabolizers. These higher levels of morphine in breast milk may lead to life-threatening or fatal side effects in nursing babies. Instruct nursing mothers to watch for signs of morphine toxicity in their infants including increased sleepiness (more than usual), difficulty breastfeeding, breathing difficulties, or limpness. Instruct nursing mothers to talk to the baby's doctor immediately if they notice these signs and, if they cannot reach the doctor right away, to take the baby to an emergency room or call 911 (or local emergency services).
Last reviewed on RxList: 4/4/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Fioricet with Codeine Information
Fioricet with Codeine - User Reviews
Fioricet with Codeine User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.