Fiorinal with Codeine
"Jan. 15, 2013 -- Women who have migraine with aura may have a higher risk of heart attacks, and they may face a higher risk of dangerous blood clots if they use certain hormonal contraceptives.
Those are the findings from two newly pu"...
Fiorinal with Codeine
Fiorinal with Codeine Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- What are the possible side effects of aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- What is the most important information I should know about aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- How should I take aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- What happens if I overdose (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- What should I avoid while taking aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- What other drugs will affect aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
Since aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine is taken as needed, you may not be on a dosing schedule. If you are taking the medication regularly, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and wait until your next regularly scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. An overdose of aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine can be fatal.
Overdose symptoms may include extreme drowsiness or insomnia, restless feeling, tremors, fast heart rate, pinpoint pupils, nausea, vomiting, dark urine, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes), confusion, ringing in your ears, fainting, weak pulse, seizure (convulsions), blue lips, shallow breathing, or no breathing.
What should I avoid while taking aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
This medication can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Do not use any other over-the-counter cough, cold, allergy, or pain medication without first asking your doctor or pharmacist. Aspirin and caffeine are contained in many medicines available over the counter. If you take certain products together you may accidentally take too much of a certain drug. Read the label of any other medicine you are using to see if it contains aspirin or caffeine.
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medication. Alcohol may increase your risk of stomach bleeding.
While you are taking this medication, avoid taking diet pills, caffeine pills, or other stimulants (such as ADHD medications) without your doctor's advice.
What other drugs will affect aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine (Fiorinal with Codeine)?
Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by butalbital or codeine.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin);
- an NSAID such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Orudis), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), and others;
- another salicylate such as Backache Relief Extra Strength, Novasal, Nuprin Backache Caplet, Doan's Pills Extra Strength, Tricosal, and others;
- insulin or diabetes medications you take by mouth;
- steroids (such as prednisone);
- mercaptopurine (Purinethol);
- sulfinpyrazone (Anturane);
- ciprofloxacin (Cipro);
- atropine (Donnatal, and others), dimenhydrinate (Dramamine), glycopyrrolate (Robinul), or scopolamine (Transderm-Scop);
- bowel or bladder medications such as dicyclomine (Bentyl), solfenacin (Vesicare), tolterodine (Detrol) and others;
- a bronchodilator such as ipratropium (Atrovent) or tiotropium (Spiriva); or
- an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or tranylcypromine (Parnate).
If you are using any of these drugs, you may not be able to use aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine, or you may need dosage adjustments or special tests during treatment.
There may be other drugs not listed that can affect aspirin, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about this medication.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 6.03. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Fiorinal with Codeine Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.