"Scientists at the National Institutes of Health report they have discovered in mouse studies that a small molecule released in the spinal cord triggers a process that is later experienced in the brain as the sensation of itch.
- Clinician Information:
Firazyr Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Firazyr
Generic Name: icatibant (Pronunciation: eye KAT i bant)
- What is icatibant (Firazyr)?
- What are the possible side effects of icatibant (Firazyr)?
- What is the most important information I should know about icatibant (Firazyr)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving icatibant (Firazyr)?
- How is icatibant given (Firazyr)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Firazyr)?
- What happens if I overdose (Firazyr)?
- What should I avoid after receiving icatibant (Firazyr)?
- What other drugs will affect icatibant (Firazyr)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is icatibant (Firazyr)?
Icatibant is used to treat attacks of hereditary angioedema (an immune system disorder). This medication is used in people who are at least 18 years old.
Icatibant is not a cure for hereditary angioedema.
Icatibant may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of icatibant (Firazyr)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction after using icatibant:
- chest pain or discomfort, fast or weak heartbeat;
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- feeling like you might pass out;
- itching, rash, or hives;
- runny nose, sneezing, stuffy nose;
- wheezing, cough, throat irritation, trouble breathing; or
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
An allergic reaction to icatibant can cause symptoms that are very similar to the signs of hereditary angioedema.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- mild skin rash; or
- pain, pressure, swelling, bruising, burning, warmth, redness, numbness, tenderness, itching, rash, or other irritation where the injection was given.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Firazyr (icatibant) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about icatibant (Firazyr)?
You should not use icatibant if you are allergic to it.
To make sure you can safely use icatibant, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, if you use heart or blood pressure medications, and if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Get emergency medical help if you have any swelling of your tongue or throat during an angioedema attack.
An allergic reaction to icatibant can cause symptoms that are very similar to the signs of hereditary angioedema, including: hives, trouble breathing, or swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Additional Firazyr Information
- Firazyr Drug Interactions Center: icatibant subq
- Firazyr Side Effects Center
- Firazyr FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.