"Respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, is a common virus. It spreads through coughing and sneezing. You can also get RSV by touching surfaces that have RSV on them, then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Most children get RSV by the time they are"...
Flagyl ER Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER
Generic Name: metronidazole (Pronunciation: me troe NI da zole)
- What is metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
- What are the possible side effects of metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
- What is the most important information I should know about metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
- How should I take metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Flagyl ER)?
- What happens if I overdose (Flagyl ER)?
- What should I avoid while taking metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
- What other drugs will affect metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
Metronidazole is an antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.
Metronidazole is used to treat bacterial infections of the vagina, stomach, skin, joints, and respiratory tract. This medication will not treat a vaginal yeast infection.
Metronidazole may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Flagyl 375 mg
capsule, gray/green, imprinted with FLAGYL, 375mg
Flagyl 500 mg
oblong, blue, imprinted with 500, FLAGYL
Flagyl ER 750 mg
elliptical, blue, imprinted with SEARLE 1961, FLAGYL ER
Metronidazole 250 mg-DAN
round, white, imprinted with DAN, 5540
Metronidazole 250 mg-MUT
round, white, imprinted with MP 45
Metronidazole 250 mg-SID
round, white, imprinted with SL 333
Metronidazole 250 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93, 851
Metronidazole 250 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5540, DAN
Metronidazole 500 mg-MUT
oval, white, imprinted with MP 46
Metronidazole 500 mg-SCH
round, white, imprinted with 5552, DAN DAN
Metronidazole 500 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 93 93, 852
Metronidazole 500 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5552, DAN DAN
oblong, white, imprinted with SL 334
What are the possible side effects of metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- numbness or tingling in your hands or feet;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- vision problems, pain behind your eyes;
- trouble concentrating, slurred speech, mood or behavior changes, tremors, muscle twitching, seizure (convulsions);
- fever, chills, muscle pain, confusion, headache, sore throat, neck stiffness, increased sensitivity to light, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting; or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- stomach pain, diarrhea;
- dizziness, loss of balance;
- vaginal itching or discharge;
- dry mouth or unpleasant metallic taste;
- cough, sneezing, runny or stuffy nose; or
- swollen or sore tongue.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Flagyl ER (metronidazole extended release tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about metronidazole (Flagyl ER)?
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics. Metronidazole will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Do not drink alcohol while you are taking metronidazole and for at least 3 days after you stop taking it. You may have unpleasant side effects such as fast heartbeats, warmth or redness under your skin, tingly feeling, nausea, and vomiting.
Additional Flagyl ER Information
- Flagyl ER Drug Interactions Center: metronidazole oral
- Flagyl ER Side Effects Center
- Flagyl ER Overview including Precautions
- Flagyl ER FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Flagyl ER - User Reviews
Flagyl ER User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.