"Medscape Medical News
March 19, 2013 -- People with low back pain may benefit from a hands-on treatment known as osteopathic manual therapy (OMT) more than they do from ultrasound therapy.
A new study suggests that OMT leads t"...
Flexeril Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Amrix, Comfort Pac with Cyclobenzaprine, Fexmid, Flexeril
Generic Name: cyclobenzaprine (Pronunciation: sye kloe BEN za preen)
- What is cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
- What are the possible side effects of cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
- How should I take cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Flexeril)?
- What happens if I overdose (Flexeril)?
- What should I avoid while taking cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
- What other drugs will affect cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
Cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain.
Cyclobenzaprine is used together with rest and physical therapy to treat skeletal muscle conditions such as pain or injury.
Cyclobenzaprine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg-AMN
round, yellow, imprinted with AN 41
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg-GG
round, yellow, imprinted with GG 288
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg-MUT
round, white, imprinted with MP 577
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg-MYL
round, orange, imprinted with 751, M
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg-SCH
round, white, imprinted with DAN, 5658
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with PLIVA, 563
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5658, DAN
Cyclobenzaprine 5 mg-MYL
round, blue, imprinted with M, 771
Cyclobenzaprine 5 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with WATSON, 3256
Flexeril 10 mg
pentagonal, yellow, imprinted with FLEXERIL, MSD 931
Flexeril 5 mg
pentagonal, peach, imprinted with FLEXERIL
What are the possible side effects of cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using cyclobenzaprine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeats;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- confusion, weakness, lack of coordination;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- seizure (convulsions);
- unusual thoughts or behavior, hallucinations (seeing things); or
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry mouth or throat;
- blurred vision;
- drowsiness, dizziness, tired feeling;
- loss of appetite, stomach pain, nausea;
- diarrhea, constipation, gas; or
- muscle weakness.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine hcl) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
Do not take cyclobenzaprine if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), or selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam) within the past 14 days. Serious, life-threatening side effects can occur if you take cyclobenzaprine before the MAO inhibitor has cleared from your body.
You should not take cyclobenzaprine if you have recently had a heart attack, or if you have a heart rhythm disorder, congestive heart failure, heart block, or an overactive thyroid.
Cyclobenzaprine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of cyclobenzaprine.
Additional Flexeril Information
- Flexeril Drug Interactions Center: cyclobenzaprine oral
- Flexeril Side Effects Center
- Flexeril Overview including Precautions
- Flexeril FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Flexeril - User Reviews
Flexeril User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.