"Jan. 7, 2013 -- Children whose dads were depressed during the pregnancy are more likely to exhibit emotional and behavioral problems at age 3, new research suggests.
The finding comes from an ongoing study of more than 30,000 Norwegia"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Florinef Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Florinef Acetate
Generic Name: fludrocortisone (Pronunciation: FLOO droe KOR ti sone)
- What is fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
- What are the possible side effects of fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
- How should I take fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Florinef)?
- What happens if I overdose (Florinef)?
- What should I avoid while taking fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
- What other drugs will affect fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
Fludrocortisone is in a class of drugs called steroids. Fludrocortisone prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Fludrocortisone is used to treat conditions in which the body does not produce enough of its own steroids, such as Addison's disease, and salt-losing adrenogenital syndrome.
Fludrocortisone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Florinef 0.1 mg
round, pink, imprinted with SQUIBB 429
Fludrocortisone 0.1 mg-BAR
oval, yellow, imprinted with b, 997 1/10
Fludrocortisone 0.1 mg-GLO
round, white, imprinted with 7033
What are the possible side effects of fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- problems with your vision;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath;
- severe depression, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizure (convulsions);
- bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood;
- pancreatitis (severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate);
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
Less serious side effects may include:
- sleep problems (insomnia), mood changes;
- acne, dry skin, thinning skin, bruising or discoloration;
- slow wound healing;
- increased sweating;
- headache, dizziness, spinning sensation;
- nausea, stomach pain, bloating; or
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Florinef (fludrocortisone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fludrocortisone (Florinef)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to fludrocortisone, or if you have a fungal infection anywhere in your body.
Before taking fludrocortisone, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, and about all other medicines you are using. There are many other diseases that can be affected by steroid use, and many other medicines that can interact with steroids.
Your steroid medication needs may change if you have any unusual stress such as a serious illness, fever or infection, or if you have surgery or a medical emergency. Tell your doctor about any such situation that affects you during treatment.
Steroid medication can weaken your immune system, making it easier for you to get an infection or worsening an infection you already have or have recently had. Tell your doctor about any illness or infection you have had within the past several weeks.
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Call your doctor for preventive treatment if you are exposed to chicken pox or measles. These conditions can be serious or even fatal in people who are using steroid medication.
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while you are taking fludrocortisone. Vaccines may not work as well while you are taking a steroid.
Do not stop using fludrocortisone suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication.
Carry an ID card or wear a medical alert bracelet stating that you are taking a steroid, in case of emergency.
Additional Florinef Information
- Florinef Drug Interactions Center: fludrocortisone oral
- Florinef Side Effects Center
- Florinef Overview including Precautions
- Florinef FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Florinef - User Reviews
Florinef User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.