"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will complete its phase-out of all inhaler medical products containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) by Dec. 31, 2013. This effort is to comply with an international treaty to protect the ozone layer by phasing "...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Patients being treated with FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionate) should receive the following information and instructions. This information is intended to aid them in the safe and effective use of this medication. It is not a disclosure of all possible adverse or intended effects.
It is important that patients understand how to use the DISKUS inhalation device appropriately and how it should be used in relation to other asthma medications they are taking. Patients should be given the following information:
- Patients should use FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionate) at regular intervals as directed. Individual patients will experience a variable time to onset and degree of symptom relief and the full benefit may not be achieved until treatment has been administered for 1 to 2 weeks or longer. The patient should not increase the prescribed dosage but should contact the physician if symptoms do not improve or if the condition worsens.
- Most patients are able to taste or feel a dose delivered from FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionate) . However, whether or not patients are able to sense delivery of a dose, you should instruct them not to exceed the recommended dose. You should instruct them to contact you or the pharmacist if they have questions.
- FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionate) should not be used with a spacer device.
- Patients who are pregnant or nursing should contact their physicians about the use of FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionate) .
- Effective and safe use of FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionate) includes an understanding of the
way that it should be used:
- Never exhale into the DISKUS.
- Never attempt to take the DISKUS apart.
- Always activate and use the DISKUS in a level, horizontal position.
- After inhalation, rinse the mouth with water and spit out. Do not swallow.
- Never wash the mouthpiece or any part of the DISKUS. KEEP IT DRY.
- Always keep the DISKUS in a dry place.
- Discard 6 weeks (50-mcg strength) or 2 months (100- and 250-mcg strengths) after removal from the moisture-protective foil pouch or after all blisters have been used (when the dose indicator reads “0”), whichever comes first.
- Patients should be warned to avoid exposure to chickenpox or measles and, if they are exposed, to consult their physicians without delay.
- For the proper use of FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionate) and to attain maximum improvement, the patient should read and carefully follow the Patient's Instructions for Use leaflet accompanying the product.
Last reviewed on RxList: 4/27/2009
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Flovent Diskus Information
Flovent Diskus - User Reviews
Flovent Diskus User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.