"Sept. 15, 2011 -- Being younger than 5 years old is a risk factor for severe flu, a CDC analysis of last season's child flu deaths suggests.
There were 115 confirmed child flu deaths from Sept. 1, 2010, through Aug. 31, 2011. The numb"...
Provide the following information to the vaccine recipient or guardian:
- Inform of the potential benefits and risks of immunization with FLULAVAL.
- Educate regarding potential side effects, emphasizing that: (1) FLULAVAL contains noninfectious killed viruses and cannot cause influenza, and (2) FLULAVAL is intended to provide protection against illness due to influenza viruses only, and cannot provide protection against all respiratory illness.
- Instruct to report any adverse events to their healthcare provider.
- Inform that safety and efficacy have not been established in pregnant women. Register women who receive FLULAVAL while pregnant in the pregnancy registry by calling 1-888452- 9622.
- Give the Vaccine Information Statements, which are required by the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 prior to immunization. These materials are available free of charge at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website (www.cdc.gov/vaccines).
- Instruct that annual revaccination is recommended.
Last reviewed on RxList: 11/25/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Flulaval Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find the secrets to longer life.