"Overview of Adult ADHD
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental health disorder that is usually diagnosed during childhood. According to The American Psychiatric Association, 5% of children in the U.S. have ADHD, a"...
Focalin XR Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Focalin, Focalin XR
Generic Name: dexmethylphenidate (Pronunciation: dex METH il FEN i date)
- What is dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
- What are the possible side effects of dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
- How should I take dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Focalin XR)?
- What happens if I overdose (Focalin XR)?
- What should I avoid while taking dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
- What other drugs will affect dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
Dexmethylphenidate is a mild stimulant to the central nervous system (brain and nerves).
Dexmethylphenidate is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Dexmethylphenidate may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dexmethylphenidate 10 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93, 5277
Dexmethylphenidate 2.5 mg-TEV
round, blue, imprinted with 93, 5275
Dexmethylphenidate 5 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 93, 5276
Focalin XR 25 mg
capsule, blue/white, imprinted with NVR, D25
Focalin XR 35 mg
capsule, blue/brown, imprinted with NVR, D35
Focalin XR 40 mg
capsule, green/white, imprinted with NVR, D40
What are the possible side effects of dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: fever; hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using dexmethylphenidate and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, ringing in your ears, chest pain, numbness);
- seizure (convulsions);
- fast or uneven heart rate;
- blurred vision or other visual changes;
- unusual behavior, confusion; or
- twitching or tics.
Less serious side effects may include:
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- loss of appetite;
- upset stomach;
- feeling restless, anxious, or jittery;
- dry mouth, sore throat; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about dexmethylphenidate (Focalin XR)?
Do not use dexmethylphenidate if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur, leading to serious side effects.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have severe depression, seizures or epilepsy, high blood pressure, heart disease, a heart rhythm disorder, congestive heart failure, if you have recently had a heart attack, or if you have a history of mental illness or drug/alcohol addiction.
Some stimulants have caused sudden death in children and adolescents with serious heart problems or congenital heart defects. Before taking dexmethylphenidate, tell your doctor if you have any type of heart problems.
Long-term use of dexmethylphenidate can slow a child's growth. Tell your doctor if the child using this medication is not growing or gaining weight properly.
Dexmethylphenidate may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person for whom it was prescribed. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Keep track of the amount of medicine used from each new bottle. Dexmethylphenidate is a drug of abuse and you should be aware if anyone is using your medicine improperly or without a prescription.
Additional Focalin XR Information
- Focalin XR Drug Interactions Center: dexmethylphenidate oral
- Focalin XR Side Effects Center
- Focalin XR Overview including Precautions
- Focalin XR FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Focalin XR - User Reviews
Focalin XR User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.