"Feb. 16, 2012 -- An experimental, implanted drug-delivery microchip that releases medication on command from an external wireless control could one day free patients from daily injections and improve treatment compliance.
Forteo Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Forteo
Generic Name: teriparatide (Pronunciation: ter i PAR a tide)
- What is teriparatide (Forteo)?
- What are the possible side effects of teriparatide (Forteo)?
- What is the most important information I should know about teriparatide (Forteo)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using teriparatide (Forteo)?
- How should I use teriparatide (Forteo)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Forteo)?
- What happens if I overdose (Forteo)?
- What should I avoid while using teriparatide (Forteo)?
- What other drugs will affect teriparatide (Forteo)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is teriparatide (Forteo)?
Teriparatide is a man-made form of a hormone called parathyroid that exists naturally in the body. Teriparatide increases bone density and increases bone strength to help prevent fractures.
Teriparatide is used to treat osteoporosis in men and women who have a high risk of bone fracture.
Teriparatide may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of teriparatide (Forteo)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using teriparatide and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling light-headed or fainting every time you inject this medicine;
- fast or pounding heartbeats every time you inject this medicine; or
- nausea, vomiting, constipation, and muscle weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild dizziness;
- pain, redness, bruising, itching, or swelling where the medicine was injected;
- leg cramps;
- joint pain;
- cough, sore throat, runny nose;
- headache or neck pain; or
- nausea, constipation, diarrhea.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Forteo (teriparatide (rdna origin) injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about teriparatide (Forteo)?
This medication has been found to cause an increased risk of bone cancer in animal studies. It is not known if this risk is also increased in humans treated with teriparatide. Talk with your doctor about your individual risk.
Teriparatide can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid smoking cigarettes, or try to quit smoking altogether. Smoking can reduce your bone mineral density, making fractures more likely.
Avoid drinking alcohol, which also may affect your bone mineral density.
Additional Forteo Information
- Forteo Drug Interactions Center: teriparatide subq
- Forteo Side Effects Center
- Forteo Overview including Precautions
- Forteo FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Forteo - User Reviews
Forteo User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips and advances in treatment.