"The group also said the medications would not further delay healing in patients with nonhealing nonvertebral fractures.
Using a structured expert-opinion process, the multidisciplinary panel addressed the use of osteoporosis medicatio"...
Fortical Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Fortical, Miacalcin Nasal
Generic Name: calcitonin nasal (Pronunciation: kal si TOE nin)
- What is calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
- What are the possible side effects of calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
- What is the most important information I should know about calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
- How should I use calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Fortical)?
- What happens if I overdose (Fortical)?
- What should I avoid while using calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
- What other drugs will affect calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
Calcitonin is a man-made form of a hormone that occurs naturally in the thyroid gland.
Calcitonin nasal is used to treat osteoporosis in women who have been in menopause for at least 5 years.
Calcitonin nasal may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling light-headed, fainting; or
- severe nasal irritation.
Less serious side effects may include:
- bleeding from your nose;
- runny or stuffy nose;
- dryness, itching, tenderness, or general discomfort of your nose;
- crusting, scabs, or sores inside your nose;
- redness in or around your nose;
- warmth, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin;
- back pain; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Fortical (calcitonin-salmon (rdna origin)) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about calcitonin nasal (Fortical)?
To make sure you are not allergic to this medication, your doctor may perform an allergy skin test before your first dose of calcitonin nasal.
Before using calcitonin nasal, tell your doctor if you have any nasal or sinus problems such as nasal deformities, a chronic infection, or nasal pain.
Avoid using any other nasal sprays or medicines at the same time you use calcitonin nasal unless your doctor has told you to.
Call your doctor at once if you have any type of severe irritation of your nose, or if you feel light-headed or faint.
Less serious nasal irritation is more likely to occur, such as minor bleeding, redness, itching, tenderness, dryness, crusting, scabs, or nasal congestion.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful side effects to the inside of your nose, your doctor may want to check your nasal passages on a regular basis. Do not miss any scheduled visits to your doctor.
Additional Fortical Information
Fortical - User Reviews
Fortical User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips and advances in treatment.