"Nov. 27, 2012 -- Every month, 1,000 more young Americans ages 13 to 24 get an incurable infection that's deadly unless held at bay by daily doses of costly drugs -- and many of them don't even know it.
That infection is HIV, the virus"...
Foscavir Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is foscarnet (Foscavir)?
- What are the possible side effects of foscarnet (Foscavir)?
- What is the most important information I should know about foscarnet (Foscavir)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using foscarnet (Foscavir)?
- How is foscarnet given (Foscavir)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Foscavir)?
- What happens if I overdose (Foscavir)?
- What should I avoid while using foscarnet (Foscavir)?
- What other drugs will affect foscarnet (Foscavir)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Foscavir)?
Use the medication as soon as you remember the missed dose. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and use the medicine at your next regularly scheduled time. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Foscavir)?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine.
Overdose symptoms may include numbness or tingling, thirst, drowsiness, confusion, urinating more or less than usual, muscle pain or weakness, fast heart rate, feeling light-headed, fainting, or seizure (convulsions).
What should I avoid while using foscarnet (Foscavir)?
Avoid getting this medicine in your eyes, as it may cause burning or irritation. If it does get into your eyes rinse with water and call your doctor.
What other drugs will affect foscarnet (Foscavir)?
Foscarnet can harm your kidneys. This effect is increased when you also use certain other medicines that can harm the kidneys. You may need dose adjustments or special tests when using any of these medications together with foscarnet.
- amphotericin B (Abcelet, Ambisome);
- pentamidine (Nebupent, Pentam);
- antiviral medications;
- any injected antibiotics;
- medicines to treat a bowel disorder;
- medication to prevent organ transplant rejection;
- pain or arthritis medicines; or
- HIV or AIDS medications such as ritonavir (Norvir) or saquinavir (Invirase).
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with foscarnet. Tell your doctor about all your prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about foscarnet.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.02. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Foscavir Information
- Foscavir Drug Interactions Center: foscarnet iv
- Foscavir Side Effects Center
- Foscavir Overview including Precautions
- Foscavir FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.