Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD
Dr. Cole is board certified in dermatology. He obtained his BA degree in bacteriology, his MA degree in microbiology, and his MD at the University of California, Los Angeles. He trained in dermatology at the University of Oregon, where he completed his residency.
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dr. Shiel received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Notre Dame. There he was involved in research in radiation biology and received the Huisking Scholarship. After graduating from St. Louis University School of Medicine, he completed his Internal Medicine residency and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
- Freckles facts
- What are freckles?
- What types of freckles are there?
- What are "liver spots" or "age spots"?
- How do freckles develop?
- How important is heredity with freckles?
- What is the medical meaning of freckles?
- How can freckles be prevented?
- What is the treatment for freckles?
- What is the value of freckles?
- Find a local Dermatologist in your town
- Freckles are usually are flat small tan or light-brown spots on sun-exposed skin.
- Freckles themselves are quite harmless and rarely develop into skin cancer.
- Most freckles are produced by exposure to ultraviolet light.
- Unusual freckles may become malignant skin cancer.
- Uncertain colored or pigmented spots should be examined by your physician or dermatologist.
- Effective treatments are available to help lighten or eliminate bothersome freckles.
What are freckles?
Freckles are flat, tanned circular spots that typically are the size of the head of a common nail. The spots are multiple and may develop on sun-exposed skin after repeated exposure to sunlight. These are particularly common in people of fair complexion on upper-body skin areas like the cheeks, nose, arms, and upper shoulders. They may appear on people as young as 1 or 2 years of age.
Most freckles on a person's skin are usually uniform in color. On different people, freckles may vary somewhat in
Find out what women really need.