"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Aptiom (eslicarbazepine acetate) as an add-on medication to treat seizures associated with epilepsy.
Epilepsy is a brain disorder caused by abnormal or excessive activity in the brain"...
SERIOUS PSYCHIATRIC AND BEHAVIORAL REACTIONS
- Serious or life-threatening psychiatric and behavioral adverse reactions including aggression, hostility, irritability, anger, and homicidal ideation and threats have been reported in patients taking FYCOMPA.
- These reactions occurred in patients with and without prior psychiatric history, prior aggressive behavior, or concomitant use of medications associated with hostility and aggression.
- Advise patients and caregivers to contact a healthcare provider immediately if any of these reactions or changes in mood, behavior, or personality that are not typical for the patient are observed while taking FYCOMPA or after discontinuing FYCOMPA.
- Closely monitor patients particularly during the titration period and at higher doses.
- FYCOMPA should be reduced if these symptoms occur and should be discontinued immediately if symptoms are severe or are worsening.
FYCOMPA tablets and oral suspension contain perampanel a non-competitive AMPA receptor antagonist as a 4:3 hydrate.
The chemical name of the active ingredient is 2-(1',6'-dihydro-6'-oxo-1'-phenyl[2,3'-bipyridin]-5'-yl)-benzonitrile, hydrate (4:3).
The molecular formula is C23H15N3O &BULL; ¾H2O and the molecular weight is 362.90 (349.39 for anhydrous perampanel). It is a white to yellowish white powder. It is freely soluble in 1-methyl-2-pyrrolidinone, sparingly soluble in acetonitrile and acetone, slightly soluble in methanol, ethanol and ethyl acetate, very slightly soluble in 1-octanol and diethyl ether, and practically insoluble in heptane and water. The chemical structure is:
FYCOMPA tablets are round, bi-convex, film-coated tablets containing 2 mg, 4 mg, 6 mg, 8 mg, 10 mg, or 12 mg of perampanel. Tablets contain the following inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, talc, and titanium dioxide. Tablets of different strengths may contain yellow ferric oxide (10 mg and 2 mg), red ferric oxide (2 mg, 4 mg, 6 mg, 8 mg), black ferric oxide (8 mg), and FD&C Blue No. 2 (indigo carmine) aluminum lake (10 mg and 12 mg).
FYCOMPA oral suspension is a white to off-white opaque liquid providing perampanel in a concentration of 0.5 mg/mL. The oral suspension contains the following inactive ingredients: sorbitol, microcrystalline cellulose, carboxymethyl-cellulose sodium, poloxamer, simethicone, citric acid, sodium benzoate and purified water.
What are the possible side effects of perampanel (Fycompa)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using perampanel and call your doctor at once if you have a side effect such as:
- changes in mood, behavior, or personality;
- anger, aggression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, feeling hostile or irritable;
- talking more than usual;
- unusual thoughts, paranoid behavior, panic attacks;
- thoughts about suicide, or thoughts about hurting someone else;
- trouble walking, loss of...
Last reviewed on RxList: 11/18/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Fycompa Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.