"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved a device to help reduce the frequency of seizures in epilepsy patients who have not responded well to medications.
The RNS Stimulator consists of a small neurostimulator implanted within "...
SERIOUS PSYCHIATRIC AND BEHAVIORAL REACTIONS
- Serious or life-threatening psychiatric and behavioral adverse reactions including aggression, hostility, irritability, anger, and homicidal ideation and threats have been reported in patients taking FYCOMPA.
- These reactions occurred in patients with and without prior psychiatric history, prior aggressive behavior, or concomitant use of medications associated with hostility and aggression.
- Advise patients and caregivers to contact a healthcare provider immediately if any of these reactions or changes in mood, behavior, or personality that are not typical for the patient are observed while taking FYCOMPA or after discontinuing FYCOMPA.
- Closely monitor patients particularly during the titration period and at higher doses.
- FYCOMPA should be reduced if these symptoms occur and should be discontinued immediately if symptoms are severe or are worsening.
FYCOMPA tablets contain perampanel, a non-competitive AMPA receptor antagonist. Perampanel is described chemically as 2-(2-oxo-1-phenyl-5-pyridin-2-yl-1,2-dihydropyridin-3-yl) benzonitrile hydrate (4:3).
The molecular formula is C23H15N3O • 3/4H2O, and the molecular weight is 362.90 (3/4 hydrate). The chemical structure of perampanel is:
Perampanel is a white to yellowish white powder. It is freely soluble in N-methylpyrrolidone, sparingly soluble in acetonitrile and acetone, slightly soluble in methanol, ethanol and ethyl acetate, very slightly soluble in 1-octanol and diethyl ether, and practically insoluble in heptane and water.
FYCOMPA (perampanel) tablets are round, bi-convex, film-coated tablets containing 2 mg, 4 mg, 6 mg, 8 mg, 10 mg, or 12 mg of perampanel. Tablets contain the following inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, talc, and titanium dioxide. Tablets of different strengths also may contain yellow ferric oxide (10 mg and 2 mg), red ferric oxide (2 mg, 4 mg, 6 mg, 8 mg), black ferric oxide (8 mg), and FD&C blue # 2 indigo carmine aluminum lake (10 mg and 12 mg).
What are the possible side effects of perampanel (Fycompa)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using perampanel and call your doctor at once if you have a side effect such as:
- changes in mood, behavior, or personality;
- anger, aggression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, feeling hostile or irritable;
- talking more than usual;
- unusual thoughts, paranoid behavior, panic attacks;
- thoughts about suicide, or thoughts about hurting someone else;
- trouble walking, loss of...
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/14/2015
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Fycompa Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.