"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Aptiom (eslicarbazepine acetate) as an add-on medication to treat seizures associated with epilepsy.
Epilepsy is a brain disorder caused by abnormal or excessive activity in the brain"...
Fycompa Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Fycompa
Generic Name: perampanel (Pronunciation: per AM pa nel)
- What is perampanel (Fycompa)?
- What are the possible side effects of perampanel (Fycompa)?
- What is the most important information I should know about perampanel (Fycompa)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking perampanel (Fycompa)?
- How should I take perampanel (Fycompa)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Fycompa)?
- What happens if I overdose (Fycompa)?
- What should I avoid while taking perampanel (Fycompa)?
- What other drugs will affect perampanel (Fycompa)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is perampanel (Fycompa)?
Perampanel is an anticonvulsant used to treat seizures in adults and children who are at least 12 years old.
Perampanel may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of perampanel (Fycompa)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using perampanel and call your doctor at once if you have a side effect such as:
- changes in mood, behavior, or personality;
- anger, aggression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, feeling hostile or irritable;
- talking more than usual;
- unusual thoughts, paranoid behavior, panic attacks;
- thoughts about suicide, or thoughts about hurting someone else;
- trouble walking, loss of balance or coordination;
- an accidental fall; or
- severe dizziness, spinning sensation, feeling like you might pass out.
Common side effects may include:
- mild dizziness;
- drowsiness, tiredness;
- weight gain; or
- headache, joint pain, back pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Fycompa (perampanel tablets, for oral use) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about perampanel (Fycompa)?
Some people taking perampanel have had serious psychotic effects, especially when starting the medication.
Call your doctor right away if you have any changes in mood or behavior changes, personality changes, thoughts about suicide, or thoughts about hurting others. Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms.
Before you take perampanel, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, or a history of depression, mental illness, or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking perampanel for seizures. Do not start or stop taking perampanel during pregnancy without your doctor's advice.
Do not stop using any other seizure medication suddenly, even if you feel fine. Stopping suddenly may cause increased seizures. Follow your doctor's instructions about tapering your dose.
Never share perampanel with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.
Additional Fycompa Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.