"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Noctiva (desmopressin acetate) nasal spray for adults who awaken at least two times per night to urinate due to a condition known as nocturnal polyuria (overproduction of urine during the night"...
Gelnique Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Anturol, Gelnique
Generic Name: oxybutynin (topical) (Pronunciation: OX i BUE ti nin)
- What is oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
- What are the possible side effects of oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
- What is the most important information I should know about oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
- How should I use oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Gelnique)?
- What happens if I overdose (Gelnique)?
- What should I avoid while using oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
- What other drugs will affect oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
Oxybutynin reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.
Oxybutynin topical (for the skin) is used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination and incontinence (urine leakage).
Oxybutynin topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using oxybutynin topical and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever with hot, dry skin;
- uneven heart rate;
- pain, burning, or other difficulty when urinating; or
- severe itching, redness, pain, rash, or other irritation where the medication was applied.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild skin irritation where the gel was applied;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
- dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling;
- blurred vision;
- dry mouth;
- constipation; or
- nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Gelnique (oxybutynin chloride 10 % gel) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about oxybutynin topical (Gelnique)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to oxybutynin, or if you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, a blockage in your digestive tract, if you have decreased urination, or if you are unable to urinate.
Before using oxybutynin topical, tell your doctor if you have urination problems, glaucoma, liver or kidney disease, myasthenia gravis, severe constipation, ulcerative colitis or other intestinal disorder, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or slow digestion.
Do not bathe, shower, swim, use a hot tub, or exercise vigorously for at least 1 hour after applying this medication.
It is best to cover treated skin areas with clothing after the gel has dried completely. This will help prevent getting this medicine on your other skin or on other people.
Oxybutynin gel is flammable. Avoid using near open flame, and do not smoke until the gel has completely dried on your skin.
This medication may cause blurred vision and may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of oxybutynin topical.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated while you are using oxybutynin topical.
Additional Gelnique Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.