In this Article
- What other names is Gentian known by?
- What is Gentian?
- Is Gentian effective?
- How does Gentian work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Gentian.
Medications for high blood pressure (Antihypertensive drugs)
Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.
Theoretically, gentian might decrease blood pressure. Taking gentian along with medications for high blood pressure might cause your blood pressure to go too low.
Some medications for high blood pressure include captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), losartan (Cozaar), valsartan (Diovan), diltiazem (Cardizem), Amlodipine (Norvasc), hydrochlorothiazide (HydroDiuril), furosemide (Lasix), and many others.
- For new or ongoing swelling of the sinuses (sinusitis): A specific combination product containing 12 mg of gentian root and 36 mg each of European elder flower, verbena, sorrel, and cowslip flower three times daily.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.