- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Geocillin (carbenicillin indanyl sodium) is generally nontoxic. Geocillin (carbenicillin indanyl sodium) when taken in excessive amounts may produce mild gastrointestinal irritation. The drug is rapidly excreted in the urine and symptoms are transitory. The usual symptoms of anaphylaxis may occur in hypersensitive individuals.
Carbenicillin blood levels achievable with Geocillin (carbenicillin indanyl sodium) are very low, and toxic reactions as a function of overdosage should not occur systematically. The oral LD50 in mice is 3,600 mg/kg, in rats 2,000 mg/kg, and in dogs is in excess of 500 mg/kg. The lethal human dose is not known.
Although never reported, the possibility of accumulation of indanyl should be considered when large amounts of Geocillin (carbenicillin indanyl sodium) are ingested. Free indole, which is a phenol derivative, may be potentially toxic. In general 8-15 grams of phenol, and presumably a similar amount of indole, are required orally before toxicity (peripheral vascular collapse) may occur. The metabolic by-products of indole are nontoxic. In patients with hepatic failure it may be possible for unmetabolized indole to accumulate.
The metabolic by-products of Geocillin (carbenicillin indanyl sodium) , indanyl sulfate and glucuronide, as well as free carbenicillin, are dialyzable.
Additional Geocillin Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.