"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved a new use for Simponi (golimumab) injection to treat adults with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis.
Simponi works by blocking tumor necrosis factor (TNF), which plays an important"...
- Instruct patients not to take GIAZO if they have a hypersensitivity to salicylates (e.g., aspirin).
- Instruct patients to take GIAZO with or without food.
- Advise patients who need to control sodium intake that the recommended dosing of GIAZO (6.6 g/day) provides about 756 mg of sodium per day.
- Instruct patients to contact their health care provider if they experience a worsening of their ulcerative colitis symptoms, because it could be due to a reaction to GIAZO.
- Instruct patients to make sure they let their health care
- If they have or are later diagnosed with renal dysfunction. Damage to the kidney has been observed in some people given medications similar to GIAZO.
- If they have or are later diagnosed with liver disease. Worsening liver disease has been observed in some people given medications similar to GIAZO.
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/13/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Giazo Information
- Giazo Drug Interactions Center: balsalazide oral
- Giazo Side Effects Center
- Giazo FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.