"Nov. 16, 2012 -- Air pollution may be bad for older brains, a new study shows.
Older adults who live in areas of high pollution did not do as well on tests of memory and other thinking skills, according to a new study.
Gilenya Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is fingolimod (Gilenya)?
- What are the possible side effects of fingolimod (Gilenya)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fingolimod (Gilenya)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking fingolimod (Gilenya)?
- How should I take fingolimod (Gilenya)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Gilenya)?
- What happens if I overdose (Gilenya)?
- What should I avoid while taking fingolimod (Gilenya)?
- What other drugs will affect fingolimod (Gilenya)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Gilenya)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Gilenya)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may include chest tightness.
What should I avoid while taking fingolimod (Gilenya)?
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while using fingolimod. The vaccine may not work as well during this time, and may not fully protect you from disease. Live vaccines include measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG), oral polio, rotavirus, smallpox, typhoid, yellow fever, varicella (chickenpox), H1N1 influenza, and nasal flu vaccine.
What other drugs will affect fingolimod (Gilenya)?
Tell your doctor if you use any heart or blood pressure medications, such as:
- a beta blocker such as atenolol (Tenormin, Tenoretic), carvedilol (Coreg), labetalol (Normodyne, Trandate), metoprolol (Dutoprol, Lopressor, Toprol), nadolol (Corgard), propranolol (Inderal, InnoPran), sotalol (Betapace), and others; or
- a calcium channel blocker such as amlodipine (Norvasc, Caduet, Exforge, Lotrel, Tekamlo, Tribenzor, Twynsta), diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem), nifedipine (Nifedical, Procardia), verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan), and others.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- ketoconazole (Nizoral);
- arsenic trioxide (Trisenox);
- tacrolimus (Prograf);
- vandetanib (Caprelsa);
- an antibiotic such as azithromycin (Zithromax, Zmax, Z-Pack), clarithromycin (Biaxin), erythromycin (E.E.S., EryPed, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin, Pediazole), levofloxacin (Levaquin), moxifloxacin (Avelox), or pentamidine (NebuPent, Pentam);
- an antidepressant such as amitriptylline (Elavil, Vanatrip, Limbitrol), citalopram (Celexa), clomipramine (Anafranil), or desipramine (Norpramin);
- anti-malaria medications such as chloroquine (Aralen), halofantrine (Halfan), or mefloquine (Lariam);
- heart rhythm medicine such as amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), dofetilide (Tikosyn), disopyramide (Norpace), dronedarone (Multaq), flecainide (Tambocor), ibutilide (Corvert), procainamide (Procan, Pronestyl), propafenone (Rythmol), quinidine (Quin-G), or sotalol (Betapace);
- medicine to prevent or treat nausea and vomiting such as dolasetron (Anzemet), droperidol (Inapsine), or ondansetron (Zofran);
- medicines to treat psychiatric disorders, such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), clozapine (FazaClo, Clozaril), haloperidol (Haldol), mesoridazine (Serentil), pimozide (Orap), thioridazine (Mellaril), or ziprasidone (Geodon);
- migraine headache medicine such as sumatriptan (Imitrex, Treximet) or zolmitriptan (Zomig);
- narcotic medication such as methadone (Methadose, Diskets, Dolophine); or
- drugs that weaken the immune system, such as cancer medicine, steroids, medicines to prevent rejection of a transplanted organ, and other drugs to treat MS.
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with fingolimod. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about fingolimod.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.01. Revision date: 7/6/2012.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Gilenya Information
- Gilenya Drug Interactions Center: fingolimod oral
- Gilenya Side Effects Center
- Gilenya Overview including Precautions
- Gilenya FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Gilenya - User Reviews
Gilenya User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.