"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today expanded the approved use of Stivarga (regorafenib) to treat patients with advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) that cannot be surgically removed and no longer respond to other FDA-approved t"...
Gleevec Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Gleevec
Generic Name: imatinib (Pronunciation: im MA ta nib)
- What is imatinib (Gleevec)?
- What are the possible side effects of imatinib (Gleevec)?
- What is the most important information I should know about imatinib (Gleevec)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking imatinib (Gleevec)?
- How should I take imatinib (Gleevec)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Gleevec)?
- What happens if I overdose (Gleevec)?
- What should I avoid while taking imatinib (Gleevec)?
- What other drugs will affect imatinib (Gleevec)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is imatinib (Gleevec)?
Imatinib interferes with the growth of some cancer cells.
Imatinib is used to treat a certain types of leukemia (blood cancer) such as Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). It is also used to treat certain tumors of the stomach and digestive system.
Imatinib may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Gleevec 100 mg
round, orange, imprinted with NVR, SA
Gleevec 400 mg
oval, orange, imprinted with 400, SL SL
What are the possible side effects of imatinib (Gleevec)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath (even with mild exertion);
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- lower back pain, blood in your urine;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- numbness or tingly feeling around your mouth;
- muscle weakness, tightness, or contraction, overactive reflexes;
- fast or slow heart rate, weak pulse, feeling short of breath, confusion, fainting; or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea or stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea;
- muscle cramps;
- joint or muscle pain;
- headache, feeling tired; or
- stuffy nose, sinus pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Gleevec (imatinib mesylate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about imatinib (Gleevec)?
Do not use imatinib if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, kidney disease, underactive thyroid, congestive heart failure, a history of stomach ulcer or bleeding, or if you are receiving chemotherapy.
Take this medicine with a large glass of water.
Imatinib should be taken with a meal. Do not take the medicine on an empty stomach.
If you miss a dose, take the medicine as soon as you remember, making sure you also eat a meal and drink a large glass of water. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next meal. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects, your blood may need to be tested often. Your liver function may also need to be tested. Visit your doctor regularly.
Additional Gleevec Information
- Gleevec Drug Interactions Center: imatinib oral
- Gleevec Side Effects Center
- Gleevec Overview including Precautions
- Gleevec FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Gleevec - User Reviews
Gleevec User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.