"The European Medicines Agency (EMA) is alerting doctors and other healthcare professionals to the possibility of atypical cases of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) associated with use of sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors, a relatively "...
Glucophage, Glucophage XR
Overdose of metformin hydrochloride has occurred, including ingestion of amounts greater than 50 grams. Hypoglycemia was reported in approximately 10% of cases, but no causal association with metformin hydrochloride has been established. Lactic acidosis has been reported in approximately 32% of metformin overdose cases (see WARNINGS). Metformin is dialyzable with a clearance of up to 170 mL/min under good hemodynamic conditions. Therefore, hemodialysis may be useful for removal of accumulated drug from patients in whom metformin overdosage is suspected.
GLUCOPHAGE and GLUCOPHAGE XR are contraindicated in patients with:
- Renal disease or renal dysfunction (e.g., as suggested by serum creatinine levels ≥ 1.5 mg/dL [males], ≥ 1.4 mg/dL [females] or abnormal creatinine clearance) which may also result from conditions such as cardiovascular collapse (shock), acute myocardial infarction, and septicemia (see WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS).
- Known hypersensitivity to metformin hydrochloride.
- Acute or chronic metabolic acidosis, including diabetic ketoacidosis, with or without coma. Diabetic ketoacidosis should be treated with insulin.
GLUCOPHAGE and GLUCOPHAGE XR should be temporarily discontinued in patients undergoing radiologic studies involving intravascular administration of iodinated contrast materials, because use of such products may result in acute alteration of renal function. (See also PRECAUTIONS.)This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/6/2010
Additional Glucophage, Glucophage XR Information
- Glucophage, Glucophage XR Drug Interactions Center: metformin oral
- Glucophage, Glucophage XR Side Effects Center
- Glucophage, Glucophage XR in detail including Side Effects and Drug Images
- Glucophage, Glucophage XR Overview including Precautions
- Glucophage, Glucophage XR FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Glucophage, Glucophage XR - User Reviews
Glucophage, Glucophage XR User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.