"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the tumor necrosis factor inhibitor adalimumab (Humira, AbbVie) for the treatment of moderate to severe hidradenitis suppurativa (HS), making it the first and only FDA-approved therapy"...
Grifulvin V Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Fulvicin P/G, Fulvicin U/F, Grifulvin V, Gris-PEG
Generic Name: griseofulvin (Pronunciation: GRIS ee oh FUL vin)
- What is griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
- What are the possible side effects of griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
- What is the most important information I should know about griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
- How should I take griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Grifulvin V)?
- What happens if I overdose (Grifulvin V)?
- What should I avoid while taking griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
- What other drugs will affect griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
Griseofulvin is an antifungal antibiotic that fights infections caused by fungus.
Griseofulvin is used to treat infections such as ringworm, athlete's foot, jock itch, and fungal infections of the scalp, fingernails, or toenails.
Griseofulvin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Fulvicin PG 165 mg
oval, white, imprinted with FULVICIN P/G, 654 654
Fulvicin PG 250 mg
round, white, imprinted with 507, SCHERING LOGO
Fulvicin PG 330 mg
oval, white, imprinted with FULVICIN P/G, 352 352
Fulvicin UF 250 mg
round, white, imprinted with 948, SCHERING LOGO
Fulvicin UF 500 mg
round, white, imprinted with SCHERING LOGO, 496
Grifulvin V 250 mg
round, white, imprinted with Ortho 211
Grifulvin V 500 mg
round, white, imprinted with Ortho 214
Grisactin 500 mg
round, pink, imprinted with 500 GRISACTIN
Griseofulvin Ultramicrosize 250 mg-WAR
round, white, imprinted with WARRICK, 1621
Griseofulvin Ultramicrosize 330 mg-WAR
elliptical, white, imprinted with WARRICK, 1624 1624
Gris-PEG 125 mg
oval, white, imprinted with GRIS-PEG, 125
Gris-PEG 250 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with GRIS-PEG, 250
What are the possible side effects of griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, chills, flu symptoms;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- confusion, trouble with daily activities;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling;
Less serious side effects may include:
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
- headache, dizziness, feeling tired;;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- numbness or tingling in your hands or feet; or
- menstrual irregularities.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Grifulvin V (griseofulvin microsize) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about griseofulvin (Grifulvin V)?
You should not use griseofulvin if you are allergic to it, or if you have liver failure, porphyria, or if you are pregnant.
Before you take griseofulvin, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, heart disease, lupus, or an allergy to penicillin.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Griseofulvin can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of griseofulvin.
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics. Griseofulvin will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Additional Grifulvin V Information
Grifulvin V - User Reviews
Grifulvin V User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.