Gum Disease (cont.)
In this Article
- Gingivitis introduction
- What's the difference between gingivitis and periodontitis?
- What causes periodontal disease?
- What are the symptoms and signs of periodontal disease?
- How does my dentist diagnose periodontal disease?
- How is periodontal disease treated?
- How can gingivitis be prevented?
- Is periodontal disease linked to other health problems?
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Is Gum Disease Linked to Other Health Problems?
According to the CDC, researchers have uncovered potential links between gum disease and other serious health conditions. In people with healthy immune systems, the bacteria in the mouth that makes its way into the bloodstream is usually harmless. But under certain circumstances, the CDC says these microorganisms are associated with health problems such as stroke and heart disease. Diabetes is not only a risk factor for gum disease, but gum disease may make diabetes worse.
WebMD Medical Reference
Reviewed by Darren R. Williams, DDS, on March 15, 2009
© WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Last Editorial Review: 3/15/2009
Viewers share their comments
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.