"Nov. 21, 2012 -- Women over age 40 are often urged to get yearly mammograms with the promise that early detection is their best hope for beating breast cancer.
But a new study published in The New England Journal of Medicine su"...
Halaven Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Halaven
Generic Name: eribulin (Pronunciation: e RIB ue lin)
- What is eribulin (Halaven)?
- What are the possible side effects of eribulin (Halaven)?
- What is the most important information I should know about eribulin (Halaven)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking eribulin (Halaven)?
- How is eribulin given (Halaven)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Halaven)?
- What happens if I overdose (Halaven)?
- What should I avoid while receiving eribulin (Halaven)?
- What other drugs will affect eribulin (Halaven)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is eribulin (Halaven)?
Eribulin is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.
Eribulin is used to treat breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
Eribulin is usually given after at least 2 other combinations of chemotherapy medications have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms.
Eribulin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of eribulin (Halaven)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- severe numbness or tingling in your hands and feet;
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling);
Less serious side effects may include:
- weakness, tired feeling;
- hair loss;
- nausea, constipation, loss of appetite;
- headache; or
- muscle or joint pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Halaven (eribulin mesylate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about eribulin (Halaven)?
Do not use eribulin if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
Before you receive eribulin, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, congestive heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, a personal or family history of Long QT syndrome, or an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood).
Eribulin can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections. Your blood will need to be tested often. Your cancer treatments may be delayed based on the results of these tests. Visit your doctor regularly.
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Tell your doctor at once if you develop signs of infection.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, mouth sores, pain or burning when you urinate, pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, fast or uneven heart rate, severe numbness or tingling in your hands and feet, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use.
Additional Halaven Information
- Halaven Drug Interactions Center: eribulin iv
- Halaven Side Effects Center
- Halaven Overview including Precautions
- Halaven FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Bacteriostatic Water - User Reviews
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find support and advances in treatment.