Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Syndrome (cont.)
John Mersch, MD, FAAP
Dr. Mersch received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California, San Diego, and prior to entering the University Of Southern California School Of Medicine, was a graduate student (attaining PhD candidate status) in Experimental Pathology at USC. He attended internship and residency at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dr. Shiel received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Notre Dame. There he was involved in research in radiation biology and received the Huisking Scholarship. After graduating from St. Louis University School of Medicine, he completed his Internal Medicine residency and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
In this Article
- Hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease facts
- What is hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?
- What are the symptoms and signs of hand foot and mouth disease?
- What causes hand foot and mouth disease?
- How is hand foot and mouth disease spread?
- What is the incubation period for hand foot and mouth disease?
- When does hand foot and mouth disease usually occur?
- How does hand foot and mouth disease affect pregnancy and the baby?
- What is the course of hand foot and mouth disease?
- Why haven't we heard more about hand foot and mouth disease?
- How is hand foot and mouth disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for hand foot and mouth disease?
- Find a local Pediatrician in your town
What causes hand foot and mouth disease?
HFM is caused by several members of the enterovirus family of viruses. The most common cause is Coxsackie virus A-16; less frequently enterovirus 71 is the infectious agent. The clinical manifestations of routine HFM are the same regardless of the responsible virus. However, patients infected with enterovirus 71 are more likely to experience rare complications (for example, viral meningitis or cardiac muscle involvement).
Viewers share their comments
- Submit »
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.