Health and the Workplace (cont.)
In this Article
- Tips to Reduce and Manage Job and Workplace Stress
- Coping with work stress in today's uncertain climate
- Tip 1: Recognize warning signs of excessive stress at work
- Tip 2: Reduce job stress by taking care of yourself
- Tip 3: Reduce job stress by prioritizing and organizing
- Tip 4: Reduce job stress by improving emotional intelligence
- Tip 5: Reduce job stress by breaking bad habits
- Tip 6: Learn how managers or employers can reduce job stress
Tip 6: Learn how managers or employers can reduce job stress
It's in a manager's best interest to keep stress levels in the workplace to a minimum. Managers can act as positive role models, especially in times of high stress, by following the tips outlined in this article. If a respected manager can remain calm in stressful work situations, it is much easier for his or her employees to also remain calm.
Additionally, there are a number of organizational changes that managers and employers can make to reduce workplace stress. These include:
- Share information with employees to reduce uncertainty about their jobs and futures.
- Clearly define employees' roles and responsibilities.
- Make communication friendly and efficient, not mean-spirited or petty.
Consult your employees
- Give workers opportunities to participate in decisions that affect their jobs.
- Consult employees about scheduling and work rules.
- Be sure the workload is suitable to employees' abilities and resources; avoid unrealistic deadlines. Show that individual workers are valued.
- Offer rewards and incentives.
- Praise good work performance, both verbally and officially, through schemes such as Employee of the Month. Provide opportunities for career development.
- Promote an "entrepreneurial" work climate that gives employees more control over their work.
Cultivate a friendly social climate
- Provide opportunities for social interaction among employees.
- Establish a zero-tolerance policy for harassment.
- Make management actions consistent with organizational values.
SOURCE: www.helpguide.org. Work Stress.
Last Editorial Review: 8/31/2013
Get tips on therapy and treatment.