Heartburn (Reflux) (cont.)
In this Article
- Heartburn facts
- Heartburn definition
- What causes heartburn?
- What are the symptoms of heartburn?
- What foods and beverages aggravate heartburn?
- How is heartburn diagnosed?
- What are treatments and home remedies for heartburn?
- Lifestyle changes
- OTC and prescription medications
- Surgical procedures
- Heartburn during pregnancy
- How can heartburn be prevented?
- Find a local Doctor in your town
OTC and prescription medications
There are many over-the-counter and prescription medications available. These fall into three major categories:
- Medications that neutralize stomach acid (antacids): Antacids (Mylanta, Maalox, Rolaids , Tums) provide quick relieve because they decrease the acid. These medications don't heal existing damage to your esophagus nor prevent future episodes of heartburn.
- Medications that reduce the production of acid: These medications are named after the receptor they block (H-2 blockers) and are available as over-the-counter as well as prescription medications. Their symptom relief tends to last longer than antacids, but it also takes longer for them to start working. They are available as several brands and formulations (ranitidine [Zantac], nizatidine [Axid], cimetidine [Tagamet], famotidine [Pepcid]). Depending on the strength they are available over-the-counter and by prescription.
- Medications that block acid production: Proton pump inhibitors (for example, omeprazole [Prilosec], lansoprazole [Prevacid]) block the production of acid. This then allows healing of the damaged esophagus.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 1/3/2014
Next: Surgical procedures
Viewers share their comments
Heartburn - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you had associated with heartburn?
Heartburn - Causes Question: Discuss the causes of or reasons for your heartburn, including dietary, lifestyle, or medical.
Heartburn - Treatment Question: What treatments have you tried to relieve your heartburn?
Heartburn - Surgery Question: Did you require surgery for your heartburn? Please discuss your experience.
Heartburn - During Pregnancy Question: What home remedies or lifestyle changes did you make to ease heartburn symptoms during your pregnancy?
Heartburn - Triggers Question: What foods or activities trigger heartburn for you?
Get the latest treatment options.