Heartburn (Reflux) (cont.)
In this Article
- Heartburn facts
- What are the symptoms of heartburn?
- What causes heartburn?
- Dietary causes of heartburn
- Lifestyle causes of heartburn
- Medical causes of heartburn
- What is the treatment for heartburn?
- Tips to alleviate heartburn symptoms
- OTC heartburn treatments
- Prescription heartburn treatments
- When is heartburn surgery necessary?
- Find a local Doctor in your town
When Is Heartburn Surgery Necessary?
Surgery for GERD may become necessary:
- When medical or drug treatment has failed to control symptoms.
- When the sphincter muscle is unable to work properly.
- When esophageal cancer develops from chronic GERD.
WebMD Medical Reference
American Gastroenterological Association.
International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders.
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse.
Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD on February 04, 2010
Last Editorial Review: 2/5/2010
Viewers share their comments
Get the latest treatment options.