"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Procysbi (cysteamine bitartrate) for the management of nephropathic cystinosis in children and adults. Procysbi was granted orphan product designation because it is intended to treat a rare dis"...
Hectorol Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Hectorol
Generic Name: doxercalciferol (Pronunciation: dock sir kal SIH fer all)
- What is doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
- What are the possible side effects of doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
- What is the most important information I should know about doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
- Who should not take doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
- How should I take doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Hectorol)?
- What happens if I overdose (Hectorol)?
- What should I avoid while taking doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
- What other drugs will affect doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
Doxercalciferol is a synthetic (man-made) form of vitamin D. Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.
Doxercalciferol is used to reduce elevated intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) levels in the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients undergoing chronic renal dialysis.
Doxercalciferol may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking doxercalciferol and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- an irregular heartbeat;
- increased nighttime urination; or
- abdominal pain.
Contact your doctor if you experience any of the following side effects:
- nausea, vomiting, or decreased appetite;
- dry mouth;
- a metallic taste;
- muscle or bone pain;
- increased thirst or urination;
- shortness of breath; or
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Hectorol (doxercalciferol liquid filled capsule) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about doxercalciferol (Hectorol)?
Contact your doctor if you experience weakness, headache, nausea and vomiting, dry mouth, constipation, a metallic taste in the mouth, increased thirst and/or urination, or decreased appetite. These can be early signs of too much calcium in the body.
Do not take antacids that contain magnesium while taking doxercalciferol, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
Additional Hectorol Information
Hectorol - User Reviews
Hectorol User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.