"Results from multiple clinical trials showed that using low-dose aspirin lowered the risk of preeclampsia in pregnant women at high risk for the condition. Preeclampsia happens when a woman's blood pressure suddenly gets too high during preg"...
(carboprost tromethamine) Injection, USP
Carboprost tromethamine is the established name for the active ingredient in HEMABATE. Four other chemical names are:
- (15S)-15-methyl prostaglandin F2α tromethamine salt
- 7-(3α,5α-dihydroxy-2ß-[(3S)-3-hydroxy-3-methyl-trans-1-octenyl]-1α-cyclopentyl]-cis-5-heptenoic acid compound with 2-amino-2-(hydroxymethyl)-1,3-propanediol
- (15S)-9α,11α,15-trihydroxy-15-methylprosta-cis-5, trans-13-dienoic acid tromethamine salt
- (15S)-15-methyl PGF2α-THAM
The structural formula is represented below:
The molecular formula is C25H47O8N. The molecular weight of carboprost tromethamine is 489.64. It is a white to slightly off-white crystalline powder. It generally melts between 95° and 105° C, depending on the rate of heating.
Carboprost tromethamine dissolves readily in water at room temperature at a concentration greater than 75 mg/mL.
Each mL of HEMABATE Sterile Solution contains carboprost tromethamine equivalent to 250 mcg of carboprost, 83 mcg tromethamine, 9 mg sodium chloride, and 9.45 mg benzyl alcohol added as preservative. When necessary, pH is adjusted with sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid. The solution is sterile.
What are the possible side effects of carboprost (Hemabate)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe pelvic pain, cramping, or vaginal bleeding;
- high fever;
- feeling light-headed or short of breath;
- severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; or
- increased blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, trouble concentrating, chest pain, numbness, seizure).
Less serious side effects...
Last reviewed on RxList: 1/9/2017
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Hemabate Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.