"Nov. 21, 2012 -- Women over age 40 are often urged to get yearly mammograms with the promise that early detection is their best hope for beating breast cancer.
But a new study published in The New England Journal of Medicine su"...
- Advise patients to contact a health care professional immediately for any of the following: new onset or worsening shortness of breath, cough, swelling of the ankles/legs, swelling of the face, palpitations, weight gain of more than 5 pounds in 24 hours, dizziness or loss of consciousness [see BOXED WARNING, Cardiomyopathy].
- Advise pregnant women and women of childbearing potential that Herceptin exposure can result in fetal harm [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use In Specific Populations].
- Advise women of childbearing potential to use effective contraceptive methods during treatment and for a minimum of six months following Herceptin [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Advise nursing mothers treated with Herceptin to discontinue nursing or discontinue Herceptin, taking into account the importance of the drug to the mother [see Use In Specific Populations].
- Encourage women who are exposed to Herceptin during pregnancy to enroll in MotHER- the Herceptin Pregnancy Registry (1-800-690-6720) [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use in Specific Populations].
Last reviewed on RxList: 3/19/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Herceptin Information
Herceptin - User Reviews
Herceptin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find support and advances in treatment.