May 30, 2016
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Table of Contents
- What is high blood pressure?
- What causes high blood pressure?
- How is blood pressure measured?
- What do blood pressure readings mean (Blood Pressure Readings Chart)?
- What are the signs and symptoms of high blood pressure?
- How is high blood pressure diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for high blood pressure?
- What are the potential risks and complications of untreated high blood pressure?
- What dietary strategies can help lower high blood pressure?
- How does exercise help lower high blood pressure?
- Is complementary and alternative medicine effective for treating high blood pressure?
What is the treatment for high blood pressure?
Blood pressure is caused by many different factors, so there are many different treatments. The goal of treating high blood pressure is to keep the blood pressure below 140/90.
Treatments for high blood pressure include:
- Lifestyle modifications:
- Medications: There are many different categories of blood pressure medications. Your doctor will work with you to find the right one. The main types include:
- Beta blockers
- Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
- Angiotensin II Receptor (ARB) blockers
- Calcium channel blockers
- Diuretics (water pills)
- Treatment of underlying conditions that cause high blood pressure, such as:
6/9Reviewed on 2/18/2014
High Blood Pressure Hypertension Related Articles
- Altace Capsules
- Benicar HCT
- Cardene IV
- Diovan HCT
- Exforge HCT
- InnoPran XL
- Tekturna HCT
- Toprol XL
- Verelan PM